• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

GRECO DRY Z'S PICKUPS FOR SALE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom

Reaction score
GRECO DRY Z'S FOR SALE
$550.00 US + Shipping+ PP Fees
We're purchased from a member on this forum.
I think you guys know what they sound like.

PM me if your interested

Phantom

Please click on the link for pics.

http://www.use.com/Greco_Dry_Zs_2ed599fb6806122c3be9

I dont know how these things got so darn expensive, just trying to get my money back. They are definitely a distinctive sounding pickup, thanks Marcus.

Phantom

Phantom said:
I dont know how these things got so darn expensive, just trying to get my money back. They are definitely a distinctive sounding pickup, thanks Marcus.

Phantom

I too have watched the meteoric rise in value of these and can't help but wonder "are they really THAT good?" against the myriad choices out there (Bare Knuckle, VooDoo, Fralin, Haussel, Duncan, etc). I guess the only real way to tell is to play some and A/B them against what you have currently. Quite a conundrum.

Based upon reviews, there is enough evidence to say that yes, they ARE that good. Again, good luck on the sale.

We now live in a world of choices. That can be good and bad. In this case good. There are definitely some heavyweight contenders out there that are much less money and pack some serious tone.
On the other side I remember having 13 channels on my TV and always watching something awesome. Now I have 200, 300 channels and all I do is surf!!!!!!!!!

Phantom said:
On the other side I remember having 13 channels on my TV and always watching something awesome. Now I have 200, 300 channels and all I do is surf!!!!!!!!!

Aint that the truth!! :lol:

Some people prefer their guitars "stock". Hopefully someone who has an old Greco without it's Dry Z's will be able to purchase them from you and finally hear what there guitar was made to sound like.

Hey Broken Toes, I agree and hoping for that.
Someday Ill finish your song lol

I have tried lots and lots of different PUs (2x Throbak, 3x Skatterbrane, 3x Seymour Duncan, 2x Zhangbucker, Wizz, Leslie's PAF, 2x Shed, vintage Dimarzio, Kloppmann, Rolph, and I'm probably forgetting some). I agree though that the Dry-Z's have something unique. "Dry" is a very apt description, but on top of that there's a certain aliveness to the tone that I like. I don't particularly care for them clean (I prefer something rounder and fatter clean and the dry Zs to my ear sound too dry and they have some fizz on top that's hard to dial out), but with a bit of overdrive they're great for a honky tonk type of tone. I think they'd be especially good for warm / sweet sounding guitars. I have a LP with a fat neck that makes most pickups sound almost cloyingly sweet, and I think the Dry-Zs would be a good match with that to counterbalance it and give it some balls again. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my to-do list. I do like them enough that after buying my first set from Wulf, I soon wanted a second set as a backup in case something goes wrong with mine. I got those from Wulf too, so I plucked him Dry. :D

That said, desire for variety aside, I like others even better. Leslie's PAF has for me the best bridge I've ever heard. I've never played real PAFs, but his get closest to what I think they are, a certain quacky brightness that's alive and never shrill. I like several others too, and the most important thing is finding the right pickup for the guitar. Don't take this as pissing on Phantom's sale. I do think they're unique, and worth having if you have multiple Les Pauls. They wouldn't be right for me if I had only one LP because I don't care for the cleans, but who here has only one LP? :)

PS: I do think that framing them as mere "restoration" parts is selling them short though. My two sets live happily in a Navigator and the Bison LP that I bought from Wulfman.

Hey Brazen, the Phantom does not take offence to your posts but actually welcomes this kind of information even if its here. I'm doing some tests myself. I think Im at about 25 boutique pickups builders. However some of the names you mentioned I've never heard of.
Would love to get a list with info, always looking to hear what others are doing.

The Phantom

Maybe some day I'll write down my impressions, but to be honest, a big problem is that I've never systematically compared the same pickups in the same guitars. I've had some that were just OK in one guitar and that blew me away in another.

But for a start, which ones haven't you heard of? Maybe among the least well-known, Leslie's PAF is Mouse on MLP if that rings a bell. He has some really cool threads there. The one I have is made with NOS wire and modeled after a real PAF set he restored. At the risk of coming across as a fanboy:
http://youtu.be/85OfJuv3UEY

I really like something in almost each winder's product though, and that's why I think we all keep writing rave reviews. I've had only a few that didn't do much for me, but even then I don't know if I gave them a fair hearing (different guitar, amp, settings...) so I wouldn't name them on a public forum.

But back on topic, you'll sell that set before long. They're expensive but in the same ballpark as Throbak and cheaper than Stephens' latest and greatest (750 USD aged), and the Dry-Z's come with 30 years of mojo.

My comment was not meant to say that these pickups would only be good for "restoration" parts, but the fact that some people like "stock" and since these pups were only made for a few years means you pay a premium due to being somewhat scarce, if your guitar is missing them. Add the fact that people think they are awesome pups and that drives the price up even more. I think these pups speak for themselves and the phantom should have no problem selling such a nice set.

Sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth! "Restoration parts" sounds like a guy paying hundreds for original pickguard screws. I'm sure some would. :D

Man, i'd love to try them out, 0 cash right now, isn't it always the way ?? I've got a pair of double tricks and a pair of Screamin' 82's i've yet to install and try out. I might be lazy but it takes all my time lol.

Last price drop fella's.
You can't go wrong.

$450 US + Shipping + Pay Pal fees.

If not I may have to keep em!

Thx.

Phantom

Latest posts

Back