Great guitarist Strats or LP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossi

Reaction score
Yes i know there are other makes but this is for LPs and Strats

I will kick it off

Hendrix =Strat
SRV = Strat
Clapton =Strat
Blackmore= Strat
Beck =Strat

+ Loads more

Plus Strats have more Signature guitars made after the guitar greats

Page - Les Paul
Beck at his finest - Les Paul
Clapton when he was worth listening to - Les Paul

LP
Paul Kossoff
Scott Gorham(although he's a strat man now)
Snowy White(best GT EVER)
Slash
Gary Moore
Joe Perry
Joe Bonnemassa

Strat
Mark Knopfler
Buddy Guy
Joe Bonnemassa
Eric Johnson

Hey lets not forget

SRV= TOKAI SPRINGY strat :wink:

fartoomany said:
Gilmour - Strat
Greatest ever solo Another Brick in the Wall Pt2 - Les Paul

Didnt he use a LP with P90s for that solo? In other words, he wanted a single coil sound. :D

Jimmie Vaughan
Anson Funderburgh
Ronnie Earl

All masters of perfect tone. All Strat players :p

stratman323 said:
Jimmie Vaughan
Anson Funderburgh
Ronnie Earl

All masters of perfect tone. All Strat players :p

Amen to that. Now the big debate here in Dallas is "Does Anson play like Jimmie or does Jimmie play like Anson?" The proverbial chicken and the egg.

Jimmie just played the new House of Blues here in Dallas last Sunday - Promoting his new album "Jimmy Reed Highway" that he recorded with Omar Dykes (of Omar and the Howlers). Like the album title, it's all Jimmy Reed stuff - Omar does vocals (doesn't even pick up his guitar) and Jimmie Vaughan plays his *** off - old style.

At the show, there was a bit of a Fabulous Thunderbirds reunion when Kim Wilson showed up and played with Jimmie. It's been years since they've played together and it sounded just like old times.

Oh yeah, Anson Funderburgh is the house band on Thurs - Sat nites there.

I would have said that Jimmie influenced Anson.

I would have paid a lot of money to be at that gig! Jimmie & Kim playing together again.... :cry: and I wasn't there....

marcusnieman said:
Promoting his new album "Jimmy Reed Highway" that he recorded with Omar Dykes (of Omar and the Howlers).

Omar is another good Strat player. Not technically brilliant, but another master of tone.

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:
Promoting his new album "Jimmy Reed Highway" that he recorded with Omar Dykes (of Omar and the Howlers).

Omar is another good Strat player. Not technically brilliant, but another master of tone.

Here's a video from their show at Antones in Austin. Jimmie's playing with a flatpick (like he did with the T Birds) rather than his now usual finger picking style. Jimmie is the king of Texas style Strat playing - also plays with the "less is more" approach - killer timing and great phrasing during his lead breaks. One of my all time favorite guitar players.

Oh yeah, look at how big Omar is now! And look at Wes Starr mugging it up on the drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew_S3Zn_y-I

Great stuff Marcus, thanks for the link. Yeah, it sounds like we have the old Jimmie back again - he just didn't sound right when he played with his fingers all the time. Must get the new album :p

I've been trying to think of Les Paul players who get a great tone, & Peter Green was the first to come to mind - though he did make his LP sound like a Strat! Apart from that, I could only really come up with Billy F. Gibbons (don't leave the "F" out - it's a good luck thang apparently).

If you broaden it to include LPs with P90s, Junior Watson & Rusty Zinn both got great tones from theirs. And there's a very under-rated rhythm guitarist who always seemed to get a great tone from his LP Special, but he never seems to get a mention when good guitarists are mentioned - and that's Bob Marley.

like I said, Eric Johnson = Strat & Lester

Vortexan.jpg

Here's EJ with the 1960 'Buddy' Les Paul; he smoked this one on the 2001 'Vortexan' shows (see pic) which I saw the one in Dallas @ Deep Ellum Live :D

Trey Gunn on Warr Guitar & Jerry Marrato on drums 8) ................

Latest posts

Back