Graphtech saddles for Love Rock LP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamfist

Reaction score
I'd like to change the saddles in the bridge of my ALS90Q with a set of graphtech saddles.
However, I don't know what thread etc I will need.
Will either of these two be right ?

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/3742-graphtech_string_saver_saddle_tune_o_matic_abr_1_6pcs_

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/3726-graphtech_ss_saddle_tune_o_matic_gotoh_6pc_

The second ones would PROBABLY fit, but why would you want to???

Get a brass saddled ABR if you are after an upgrade, I can't see the benefit of fitting graphite saddles to a LP.

JohnA said:
The second ones would PROBABLY fit, but why would you want to???

Get a brass saddled ABR if you are after an upgrade, I can't see the benefit of fitting graphite saddles to a LP.

I don't have a huge problem with string breakage with the standard saddles, but when I do break a string it's always at the saddle. I assumed with graphtech saddles I might get longer out of my strings.

I'm a bit strange, as I actually really like old strings. If I can get longer out of them then its a plus !

Am I wrong in assuming that graphtech saddles will be less stressful to the string at the string/saddle meeting than good brass saddles, for example ?

I use brass saddles and don't have any problems at all breaking strings. I have 2 issues with graphite saddles.

Unless they are specifically designed for the bridge you are using they won't fit properly, loose saddles = buzz and loss of sustain.

Every component has some effect on how a guitar sounds and a 'proper' Les Paul has brass saddles.

JohnA said:
I have issues with graphite saddles.

Unless they are specifically designed for the bridge you are using they won't fit properly, loose saddles = buzz and loss of sustain.

That sounds reasonable. I'd be happy to buy a whole replacement bridge if need be. I'd also be very happy with brass too, so long as the saddles were made to a high standard with no sharp edges at all.

Can you recommend any particular bridge ?

Am I right in thinking that my guitar has an ABR-1 type bridge ?

Do you know what size studs and what the thread will be on the saddle screws on MIJ Tokai LP's ?

I got my ABR's from forum member Togps he's the German Tokai Distributor, do a search for ABR and you'll find a link to some pics & info.

They are very good quality, and no sharp edges on them!

My Tokais are Japanese, I don't know too much about the Korean ones, probably better to check with someone who does.

Just had a look for some pics of Korean ABR's. If you're looks like the one in the pic below (pinched from Richtone, hope they don't mind) then I don't think the ABR's like mine will fit, mine are old-style where the stud is screwed straight in to the wood so the hole in the ABR is smaller.

Could be wrong though

ls48cs3.jpg

Thanks John.
Mine is Jap too, and your description of your bridge sounds just like mine.
Looks like I might be getting a bridge from Togps sometime. I was aware of his stuff. All I'd need to decide is whether to go the whole hog and get the tailpiece and studs too !

Alan

Whoops, for some reason I thought we were alking about a Korean guitar.

I've just got the ABR, will probably get the Faber kit too at some stage.

Wow! Graphtech saddles are the best. I have them on 3 of my guitars...none on my Tokais. I sent them the bridge from my Epi Dot and they loaded it up for no charge after getting the wrong size from 2 suppliers. Great product...Great company!

Chico 8)

ChicoBluez said:
Wow! Graphtech saddles are the best. I have them on 3 of my guitars...none on my Tokais. I sent them the bridge from my Epi Dot and they loaded it up for no charge after getting the wrong size from 2 suppliers. Great product...Great company!

Chico 8)

Hey Chico, my friend ! Good to cross paths with you again. Was the Dot bridge an ABR-1 type or a Nashville type ?

:D Hey Alan!

Didn't want to repond directly just in case you needed some online space. I can tell you that I miss you on the TLSE site plenty.

It is the Nashville type (longer intonation screw travel) and I kept original. As mentioned, I had received the wrong size twice and gave Graphtech a call. I sent the head tech pictures of the bridge and he asked for it to be shipped to him. I got it back within 7 days and have yet to break a string in 2 years. Can't say enough about the product and company. Has something to do with being Canadians?? Here's a pic.

Chico 8)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/ChicoBluez/Dot003.jpg

ChicoBluez said:
and have yet to break a string in 2 years.

Now that's the sort of performance I would like from a set of saddles ! You've got me thinking again about trying out a set of the graphtechs. I'll see if I can find anywhere that will sell me some, with an option to return if they are the wrong thread, or are a loose fit.

Latest posts

Back