Goldstar model help please.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makaze

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for any input.

I'm really struggling to id this Goldstar.

It has 2 piece alder center seem.

Routes are normall tokai, codes are in the control cavity and 1 in front pup.

E pups and on non-stamped 3 ply guard with tokai pots and copper plate.

Neck profile on rear is like a c / v

Rosewood side it has a much flatter profile than any tokai I have had and feel like a modern profile. It produces clean notes on every single fret.

The rosewood itself it beautiful and it is the best playing guitar I have ever had.

Tuners stamped deluxe and saddles final prospec.

It has a square string tree

The neck plate has a 4 digit serial number.

I can not get acetone test postive on this guitar but I can't on my stamped hard V neck st-80 (*2).

I presume it is at least a st-60.

Thanks for your help.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll276/zepteppy/Goldstar%20st-60-70-80/

ST60 seems the obvious conclusion. The board doesn't look any flatter than the usual for a Goldstar though, but if it is, it could be a previous owner flattened it off & refretted it. Do the frets look original?

Mike

It's the first rosewood goldie I've had if that's the norm for the fretboard I've been missing out big style.

Yes the frets look original.

If you mean the quality of the rosewood, most of the 80s models I have seen (and that's a few!) have had gorgeous rosewood.

This was one of the nicest, the black Goldie ST50 I sold to a forum member last year. I'll include a pic of the neck butt so you can see the curvature of the board - standard Fender "vintage" 7.25".

125_2569.jpg

125_2550.jpg

Yours as a comparison:

DSC00494.jpg

Because it's a cap board, it wouldn't be possible to flatten the board without this showing up in an end-on view like this - the cap would look thinner in the middle if this was done. On a slab board it would be harder to detect.

I think all my springy's have had very vintage radius fretboard, this guitar is blowing me away, the maple necks goldies I've had just haven't done it for me.

I can see it's a similar profile radius. The grain is wonderful.

1 converted Goldie fan.......oh dear, watch out wallet :wink:

Only issue with it is it needs the pups potting, they are squeeling somewhat.

makaze said:
.....the maple necks goldies I've had just haven't done it for me.

Only issue with it is it needs the pups potting, they are squeeling somewhat.

Me too! I never did understand the appeal of maple boards. Except visually.

For wax potting, Shed have done a few for me.

Some of my springy's must have 5" radius :eek:

I now understand why some of you guys are Goldstar nutters, I needed to sell Goldstar but I'm going to sell things I thought I'd never sell. I'll have to get another one of these rosewood Goldie's too.

makaze said:
I'll have to get another one of these rosewood Goldie's too.

Do you like jumbo frets? I have one with jumbos that I think I'll have to let go this year, I just don't like the big frets, despite a good pro fret stone & set up.

Latest posts

Back