Goldstar 84 Identity Help?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OR in the body cavity should be the colour, but OR doesn't appear in the 1985 catalogue. I'm sure someone else will have heard of it though.

My '84 Goldstar also has a neck shape that feels like soft-v even thought it should be u-type. It's more of a v than the '52 Fender Telecaster Ri that I used to have. It has a maple fretboard so shouldn't it be a copy of a fifties strat? Can someone say for certain?

Hello Mike and everyone,

Thanks for the photos. Your Black guitar looks exactly like my Red one.

The red colour of mine is slightly darker than the interior lining of the Tokai case if tha helps place the colour. as i said i think its close to Fender Torino red, and perhaps a little lighter than Dakota red, but definately not Fiesta.

Alder would probably spot on for the wood, since it feels relatively light, though i have not yet weighed it.

The Tuners are the same as on your Black.

The markings in the body cavities are only in the control cavity, not the pickups cavities.

The pickups hace grey base plates and a VII stamp on them, they are fairly loud and perhaps a little mid biased, What type does this make them?

The neck is like one Clapton strat that I once had, I had a total of three at one time and of the three two were hard Vs one soft.

Yes,I bought the guitar yesterday, Sat 9th Feb, a shop. They also have a similar Black one which looks the same other tan having a more C shape neck, and not being any where near as good condition.

I've previously owned and sold a Sunburst Goldstar, with the peculiar squashed diamond type pickups (a 40 ?), and a Candy apple red Springy sound which was pristine and with a Tokai case. Stupidly I sold them both abot 5 years ago, before I came across this forum!!!

During my search for this guitar I've seen (a couple of days ago) a natural Tokai strat, two piece body nice grain but very heavy, with a one piece maple neck U shaped,Kluson type tuners, didn't see under the scatch plate, but it had an L 5 digit serial number. It was in excellent condition. If anyone is interested, email me for the location.

Thanks for all your help, I'll be posting pictures as soon as poss. In the meantime Ill be playing my fabulous Tokai!

Julian

stratman323 said:
Centre joined 2 piece alder body sounds right (I can't believe that people on this **** forum have got me counting the number of pieces of wood in my guitar bodies - how sad is that?

Mike

If I come up with some 4 & 5 piece Strat bodies, I'll make sure I offer them to you first :lol: before they go on fleaBay............. 8) .........

Hi Rupert, I have not been on line for a couple of days so sorry for the slow response.

There is a black Goldstar which looks like an 84 at Chandlers Guitars, Kew, +44 208 940 5874, around ?525 (negotiable no doubt). Looks in good condition. T logo.

There is a Goldstar in supposedly "rare sonic blue" with matching headstock, 1983, at Guitar Galleries in Addlestone, Surrey, 01932 847131.This has the BLOCK solid black logo. I haven't physically seen this one, but supposedly 8/10.

There is a natural two piece body 1984 Goldstar T type logo, excellent condition but looks like it had a partial refret, at a private house in Sunbury on Thames, Surrey. This is priced at ?495.

There is also a "rare"Sonic blue matching headstock Goldstar advertised in Guitarist February 2008, at a private house in Cardiff, Wales, 02920 408497. this has some issues, like changed tuners and holes where a bar string retainer once lived on the headstock. seen pictures only, ?350 approx is asked for this one.

Hope this is of interest ,let me know!

Cheers Julian :D

Yep,

I agree, but that's what they are and thats why I didn't buy em!

But seriously I've found shop prices to be in the ?450 to ?500 range of late. Privately prices are cheaper, but the shop rate seems to be inflating the price all round.

Julian

Get one on eBay (after the one week strike is over, of course), & you should get one for between ?250 (if you're lucky) to ?350 (tops). At those prices they are great value.

Of course, if I sell one of mine, feel free to pay ?400 or ?500. :lol:

Hi Mike!

60 because of the combination of the U shaped neck with the VII pups.
Difficult to assert. I just don't have enough Goldstars to double check. And as you know information on them is even more scarce then on Springy.

Cheers! Rup

Latest posts

Back