Goldstar 84 Identity Help?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nationalmojo

Reaction score
Just bought what I believe is an 84 Goldstar. It has a rosewood veneer board, 3 ply white /black/white pickguard, Goldstar decal with Oldies but Goldies, is in Torino Red (Fender equiv) or perhaps Dakota Red, has Final Prospect Sadles, Deluxe Kluson type tuners, grey VII stamped pickups,
body cavity says 2 4 ORX, pots stamped M250k 43K, black wires and white wires, 421 stamped on metal control plate, cap marked 473 Z, and i with a tweed case. Logo is T type in gold.

Serial number stamped on neck plate is L20128

I dont want to take the neck off ,to see whats marked there.

Can you tell me what model it is?

[b]Having read the site I find it really confusing to understand what differentiates between TST , 50 , 55,60, 80, 120 etc.

The catalogues on the site are too small to read the detail .
Bye the way it sounds fantastic and is in truely pristine condition.[/b]

Hi and welcome to the show!

Kind of magic, isn't it? Tokai (same as Fender on the amps) never cared too much about serials. Instead they focussed on guitars.

My guess is you've got what you say: a 1984 Goldstar. Does she have cloth-wires or plastic? The "Final prospec" on the saddles is a positive sign; are they in parallel or at 180 degrees?

If you want detailled analysis you should post detailled pics. And just in case you don't need the case: please let me know. I'll take it (if it's a Tokai). 8)

Cheers! Rupert

My question was really what spec /model is it? i.e 50/55/60/80/etc.
I don't have a digital camera so sadly can't post pics.

The case is a tweed with red interoir ,its aTokai case that is old in good nick and came with the guitar. Its a little slimmer than a Fender case (I want to keep it with the guitar).

The wires are cloth.

Don't really understand what you mean about parallel or 180 degrees (to what?). The "Final Prospect " script is on the two "bars" of the saddle, parallel to the string, which runs between both words.

Without the labels which I understand were once on the back of the neck, how do you tell which spec it is ? Its a solid colour, so I cant see how many pieces of wood make up the body.

Thanks for your help and for replying.

Hi again!

If you want details you must post details.

I am not an expert on Goldstars, however, many people are. But they will not answer until you post detailled pics, as I am sure you found by reading in the forum.

180 degrees means that on one side of the saddles the "print" is opposite to the other side.

The cloth wire is good news IMHO, as are the pups.

If you want some real answers you must post some real pics.

Rupert

Thanks Rupert,

The words are parallel on the saddles, as you describe.

The neck is a soft V shape.

Having bought the guitar, I have no funds for a digital camera! But as soon as I can I will post pictures.

i tried to give as much detail with serial numbers, pickup and pot numbers, as i can, to help someone tell me which spec/model I have, and thats all I can do for the moment.

I would like to place the guitar on the register, but dont know the spec to include.

I appreciate your help

julian from UK

Hi Julian!

Below are pics from a 1984 Goldtstar pickguard. Does you'rs look similar?

Cheers! Rup
ac9b4be6.jpg

3557f636.jpg

fa42a2b5.jpg

e994e31a.jpg

f4628c6a.jpg

b3699d3d.jpg

37b02d7e.jpg

Hi Mike!

Could you please help on this one? I am actually a bit surprised about the neck being soft-V. Does this make her a TST60?

Cheers! Rup

Hi Julian - Mike knows much more about Goldstars then I do. I am more into the Springy/LS side.

Hi Rupert,

Almost exactly the same, except that mine has a total of 12 screw holes on the pickgaurd whereas yours looks like it has 10. I don't know if thats significant or not. What spec guitar is the pickgaurd in your photos from?

Thanks
Julian

Hi Julian!

It actually has 11. You should not count the pup-screws.

What about the shape of the headstock? Is it 62 like this one?
Does it have the same tuners?

9a43d977.jpg

Rupert,

I just re-counted the holes and there are 11 other than the pickup adjusters, which looks exactly like yours I think.

Is it an attribute of Tokai owners to do this stuff late at niht or should I say early in the morning!

Great to make your acquantance!

Julian.

Yes Rupert, the headstock is exactly this shape. the logo is the T type in gold with a thin black line around it, just like the one shown on the register site (the one after the Block script) which made me think its an 84. I've had a Springy sound in the past but stupidly sold it in my ignorance. This current guitar has a soft V neck not as hard as the springy i used to have.

Hi Julian!

I drink too much, I smoke too much, I am too old. And I have too many Tokais. And I sleep on planes.

But let's go back to your Goldstar: can you see how many pieces the body is made out of of?

Rup

I can't really make that out through the paint. I can certainly see one join under the paint, in about the middle of the guitar, I can't see any others, though of course they could be there!

the tuners bye the way are Kluson type, with deluxe stamped on them, just like yours I think.

I can't really make that out through the paint. I can certainly see one join under the paint, in about the middle of the guitar, I can't see any others, though of course they could be there!

the tuners bye the way are Kluson type, with deluxe stamped on them, just like yours I think.

Hi Julian!

So that's poly, not nitro-finish.

Good to hear btw. I've never heard a about a GS with nitro.

From what you told about your lady til now I'd reckon she is a MIJ TST50 made in 1984. The colour still puzzles me. But as you cannot see the body-matches it is not that important.

I still recommend to get in touch with Mike (aka stratman323 on the forum). He's much better on Goldstars then I am. You can see 2 of his GSs on this thread, one black, one green.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10052

Cheers and enjoy her!
Rup

Sorry, just one final point: ignore cameras. Tokais are much more important.

Play her. Sing through her. Let it be heard.

Thanks and goodnight Rupert.

Its now 4.00am here in London, and time for me to put my new acquisition away and sleep and dream. Tomorrow I'll take the pickgaurd off and see if I can make out any more body joins. I'll get in touch with Mike as you suggested.

You've been a great help, and getting involved in the forum makes it even more fun to own a Tokai once again.

thanks a million,

Julian.

Julian,

I think Rupert has taken it about as far as anyone can without detailed pics. If you don't have a digital camera, that's not a problem. You can get film developed onto CD (or at least you could when I last checked), and then use the CD (of digital pics) to load them onto here. Pics of the underside of the scratchplate will help a lot. There should also be some markings in the pickup recesses. All of these will give clues as to what it is, but it all sounds kosher to me so far.

But there are other Mikes on here who know more than I do. :eek:

Mike

It sounds like a red version of this black ST50, which is from approx 1984, as far as I know (possibly very late 83, or maybe 85, from what I have been able to ascertain).

125_2583-1.jpg

Centre joined 2 piece alder body sounds right (I can't believe that people on this **** forum have got me counting the number of pieces of wood in my guitar bodies - how sad is that? :( ). The soft V neck confuses me though, I've never seen one of those. But then again I think I've only tried ST50s and 55s, so maybe it is a 60. The pickups might be a clue?

Does it have tuners like this?

124_2455.jpg

Whatever it is, it should be a great guitar. Did you say it was a recent purchase?

Mike

Latest posts

Back