Gibson 50's Tribute Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusnieman

Reaction score
I must admit, this is one **** fine looking guitar with excellent specs (although with a weight relieved body). Limited production.... street price is $850 but they can't be found anywhere. Selling as quickly as made and for well over the suggested retail price.

Also comes in gold top, cherry burst, black and white. I prefer this honey burst:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-1950s-Tribute-HONEYBURST-P-90s-/320593799618?pt=Guitar&hash=item4aa4e129c2

I love everything about them. Finally Gibson doing a new guitar right. Pain in the arse to get hold of - I was after a honey burst but lost out everywhere.

This guitar looks really nice. I hadn't heard of this model until I seen it mentioned in another thread today. The opinions of it in that thread are considerably different to these.

The white is a true beauty.
And those I tried were all great guitars.
At 850$ this is the nr:1 "bang for the bucks" guitar at the moment.

jawilluk said:
This guitar looks really nice. I hadn't heard of this model until I seen it mentioned in another thread today. The opinions of it in that thread are considerably different to these.

I'd like to read that..... link?

marcusnieman said:
jawilluk said:

I'd like to read that..... link?

I wouldn't bother reading that thread if I were you, and besides, the LP Tribute shown there was being dissed because it had a multi piece body, whereas the one in the ebay listing has a 2 piece body.

They do look pretty nice actually, quite low key looks, which is what my preference is, rather than quilty, flamey, super shiny or blingy. I had a LP Studio for a while so I don't mind the absence of binding, but if there's a choice I'll take the bound LP.

They're complaining about an extra piece of wood..... on a chambered body???

I've had a studio before too and I don't mind the absence of neck binding. There's no binding on the body either.... that's the maple cap showing.

I like the stripped down look. For the money, I'm all over this one. Now if I can only find one....

JVsearch said:
and besides, the LP Tribute shown there was being dissed because it had a multi piece body, whereas the one in the ebay listing has a 2 piece body.

It does look nice, with the maple grain on top, but take a look at the bottom end. Are you sure that is a 2 piece body? Probably does not matter though.

marcusnieman said:
They're complaining about an extra piece of wood..... on a chambered body???

I've had a studio before too and I don't mind the absence of neck binding. There's no binding on the body either.... that's the maple cap showing.

I like the stripped down look. For the money, I'm all over this one. Now if I can only find one....

At least they're not chambered like Japanese LP's (aka plywood).

Leif said:
JVsearch said:
and besides, the LP Tribute shown there was being dissed because it had a multi piece body, whereas the one in the ebay listing has a 2 piece body.

It does look nice, with the maple grain on top, but take a look at the bottom end. Are you sure that is a 2 piece body? Probably does not matter though.

I think so - looks like just one join in the lower area, through the control cavity section and cutaway.

Are they chambered or weight relieved?

marcusnieman said:
... There's no binding on the body either.... that's the maple cap showing.

Ah, didn't notice that - nice!

That was the other complaint from the other thread, that the body binding was painted on. I now see that Marcus is right - it's the maple top edges that make the bound look.
I like it. :D

AlanN said:
I love everything about them. Finally Gibson doing a new guitar right

I can't remember the last time I said this about an LP, but that is gorgeous & I want one! :eek: I hate binding - it ruins most guitars it touches, & Gibsons are normally covered in the stuff.

Plain, simple, understated, just beautiful - it shows off the natural beauty of the design.

Alan - could you buy one before our Leeds do & bring it along please?

Thanks.

:D

Mike

Seriously :)

I wasn't going to - the only ones left in the UK are white (which is strangely attractive, but not enough to make me buy it), ebony (meh, my tok special is black) and cherry sunburst (bleurgh).

But then Andersons got in touch this morning and said they'd had a worn honey burst order cancelled. Yoink.

AlanN said:
I already did! (See previous post :))

NICE!! want a full report and pictures. I've got a pal at Guitar Center and he's earmarked a honeyburst for me... won't be in for a month or so.

He told me that they'd just gone into production on these when the flood hit Nashville and shut the factory down. Now they are back up and running again but they guitars are selling faster than they can make them with the honeyburst and goldtops taking the lion's share of those orders.. Still going to be a limited production as well......

Back