• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE - 1983 Tokai 'Jaco' Jazz Bass in the UK.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAGray

Reaction score
Selling my beloved Tokai Jazz Sound fretless bass. As far as I can tell this is an 1983 model, possibly a JB85 YSR FL. I have owned it since the early 1990's.

This is the rare 'Jaco' copy - e.g. its a factory fretless made to look like its been defretted. It has black 'fret' markers and dot inlays, thin neck profile, sunburst, no pickguard, 1960 style 3 pot control layout.

This has been a great working instrument for many years - and is being sold regretfully due to a recent overindulgence of Ibanez Musician / Mark Bass / Ashdown.

The bass is not showroom new - but nor is it horribly battered. Its a gigged rock n roll (jazz, folk, reggea !) instrument.

Points to which the collector should be aware : -

1) Some buckle rash to back of body - numerous small chips to finish and a touch of lacquer cracking at bottom of body.

2) Pickups, bridge and straplocks have been changed.

The original (rather weedy) bridge fell apart at the end of the 1990's - it was changed for one of the better Schaller models.

Pickups were changed at the same time as the originals were starting to lose their response - I think the pickups are also Schaller.

Straplocks were changed to the omnipresent Schaller straplocks many years ago.

3) The fingerboard has some wear at the pickup end due to being strung with roundwounds. This is purely cosmetic rather than indicative of any real damage to neck.

4) The bass needs a general service and setup (like most fretlesses it benefits from a yearly tweaking of the trussrod..)

Given what a great (and potentially rare) instrument this is I am looking for the best offer over ?400.

Their is a (very bad) photo of the instrument to be seen here :-

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/PAGRAY/tokaifull.jpg

Any interested parties please email [email protected]

Cheers

Graham

Back