ES-260 vs. ES-155

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow....this is wearing me out! :eek:

I'd hate to be the guy selling you a car! (Don't get bent out of shape Roe, that was a joke)

Of course all of those things will effect the tone of a Gibson guitar - or ANY guitar for that matter - that's what makes them unique. It would be pretty boring world of overpriced guitars if each Les Paul or 335 or Strat sounded just like the other one.

If you've got a guitar that sounds like crap, dump it and find one you like (or tell your other guitar player to chop his up for firewood because it sounds like garbage). The point is, you have to hear what you want and if you want what you hear, then buy it.

Our love for guitars should be fun - if you get over analytical about them (and this is my humble opinion) then they become pieces of machinery. Kind of like being a gynecologist - after working on them all day, it kind of takes the fun out of playing with them.

of course, I agree about most of this.
The problem is: while I can try a lot of gibsons here in norway and pick a couple good ones, i can't try tokais :x - I have to read about them. that's why I ask about a lot of details :evil:

gibson type guitars is that they can sound muddy in the mix

Two possibilities:

1) You haven't got your eq right. Back the volume to next to nothing and work on the sound, when you have it increase the volume. If you tone is pants to start with the it will only be worse at volume. Playing quietly goes against the grain but it does allow you to hear HOW you sound. Play with your amp - all those knobs make a difference.

2) Your looking at the wrong sort of guitar, go get a strat. Seriously if 'bucker don't do it then try s/coils. In double guitar situations I find someone plays s/c an other 'buckers the sound is evened out.

Seriously Roe I think you're looking for the Holy Grail here - good tone is important, but sometimes you just got to settle for tone that's good enough.

Kind of like being a gynecologist - after working on them all day, it kind of takes the fun out of playing with them
lol!!!!

OK, I admit that I play Blues and Blues based rock, and some other wierd sh_t. I play a little to fuzzy to hear that fine of detail. But I am anal about what a guitar is made of and can say that an alluminum tailpiece sounds different than a steel one. I have so many toys that make you sound like just about anything that its almost impossible to hear the true sound of the guitar. I'm a simple man when it comes to tone, but you allways know when its dialed in just right. That's not allways an easy thing to do. If someone would tell me how to share a clip of my music I would be very thankfull. I use band in a box and other programs to build my back grounds of my songs, then I try to lay some vocals down. After that I do my leads. It's what it's all about besides sharing it with others.

Mark :D

FWIW The best advice I've heard lately was Tom Morello in Guitarist mag who was constantly chopping and changing guitars, amps pedals etc in order to get 'that sound' until he decided to just dial in an acceptable tone and get on with it. Don't know if he sounds crap or not but its his tone and he's free to concentrate on the more creative aspects of being a musician. Likewise I often think its better to restrict yourself to one guitar/one amp - and the simpler the better. Learning to get as much as possible out of this setup makes for a better musician. Easier said than done though as I'd happily buy many axes just to look at them :D

bruceboomstick said:
gibson type guitars is that they can sound muddy in the mix

Two possibilities:

1) You haven't got your eq right. Back the volume to next to nothing and work on the sound, when you have it increase the volume. If you tone is pants to start with the it will only be worse at volume. Playing quietly goes against the grain but it does allow you to hear HOW you sound. Play with your amp - all those knobs make a difference.

2) Your looking at the wrong sort of guitar, go get a strat. Seriously if 'bucker don't do it then try s/coils. In double guitar situations I find someone plays s/c an other 'buckers the sound is evened out.

Seriously Roe I think you're looking for the Holy Grail here - good tone is important, but sometimes you just got to settle for tone that's good enough.

quote]

Yes,

I'm almost looking for the holy grail. I have several good guitars - including a LP std and a ES335. My best guitars however is a Gretsch 6131MY with big frets and TVclassics and a hollow Warmoth Esquire with a kinman broadkaster pup, callaham bridge and glendale saddles.

I agree very much with your two tips. It's just what I've been doing for some time. But if you start with muddy sounding guitar you'll meet some difficulties. Often you don't have very much eq possibilities on guitar amps. 2-4 knobs are somewhat limited.

mlivingstone said:
FWIW The best advice I've heard lately was Tom Morello in Guitarist mag who was constantly chopping and changing guitars, amps pedals etc in order to get 'that sound' until he decided to just dial in an acceptable tone and get on with it. Don't know if he sounds crap or not but its his tone and he's free to concentrate on the more creative aspects of being a musician. Likewise I often think its better to restrict yourself to one guitar/one amp - and the simpler the better. Learning to get as much as possible out of this setup makes for a better musician. Easier said than done though as I'd happily buy many axes just to look at them :D

yes, it's a good tip.
I try to just use one amp and one guitar in each band. Turn the amp up and just adjust the pick attack and the guitar volume.
However I need a spare guitar for shows and at least two different guitars in the studio. I prefers gibson type guitars for blues and rock guitar solos and a gretsch and a esquire for cord work.

Back