Edwards LP 98 LTS vs Gibson LP Std

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmintan

Reaction score
Richtone music can do the Edwards 98LTS inc case and shipping for 1012 euros all in.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/produ...oney_burst.asp

Adverts has a gibson LP Standard up for a shade more, 1200 euros:

http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-bass/gi...d-faded/387372

I know the edwards is an awesome guitar, consistent quality and good looking, but it doesnt have the gibson label, and the flame is a 1cm veneer rather than a full flame maple top. shouldnt make a difference to sound, but would be an issue for some.

Which would You guys go for, and why?

I'd never buy a Gibson for the label.... much less a Standard. There's better guitars out there when it comes to build quality and certainly sound and in my opinion, Edwards is one of them.

If you have the ability to play both side be side, I'd do that and draw your own conclusion. But for the money, you get alot more for it with the Edwards..... than the label.

Don't get me wrong... I own Gibsons but only one Les Paul and that's the recent Tribute 50's model with P90s that I just bought. My other Les Pauls are Tokai's and Edwards..... for the reasons I mentioned above.

If the Gibson is also new, it seems pretty cheap.

It'll come down to differences in specs and what you like/ don't like. The Gibson will be chambered and may have multiple body pieces. The Edwards will, if I recall correctly be solid with a one-piece back.

The advert for the Gibson didn't work, but it might very well have a solid flame-top - which is a premium consideration for some people. Also, at that price, the Gibson might well sell for almost exactly what you pay for it, while the Edwards will lose some value once you take the wrapping off and there's a smaller market interested in them.

^ Yeah. Also, as I said on your thread on UG, Edwardses are expensive at the moment because of the exchange rate- you can get an MIJ Tokai (and it's actually MIJ) for a couple of hundred less. Granted, much like with the Gibson, the spec is a bit different on the ls80 to the Edwards LP-98LTS, and it does depend to an extent on which specs you want and which you're willing to do without, but yeah. I'm not sure I'd pay a couple of hundred more for an edwards, which isn't 100% made in japan, over a Tokai which is. Granted I'm biased because I got my Edwards for half that before the exchange rate collapsed, but still. Based on mine, anyway, I don't think it's worth the guts of ?900.

You can get an Edwards LTS second-hand shipped from Japan for 600 euros, but then you'd have to pay duty and VAT. Still be cheaper.

Latest posts

Back