Edwards Les Paul Clones

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacock72

Reaction score
Did the Lacquer Taste Series Les Pauls ever come with open coil Duncans? Just got one used off Ebay. The seller listed it as a 98LTS, but when I received the guitar I found the covers weren't soldered on the pickups and there was no evidence to suggest they ever were soldered. I believe the guitar is an '04. Serial # starts ED04... Any way to differentiate the different series via serial number? I'm not an expert on the feel of Nitro, but the finish certainly feels like Nitro and not a plasticy Poly. Great guitar and all of the Edwards hype is certainly well deserved. This guitar is soooo light! I lol when I pulled it from the box! Neck is nice and beefy too! Noticeably fuller than my Tokai LS200 and Burny Super Grade.

peacock72 said:
Did the Lacquer Taste Series Les Pauls ever come with open coil Duncans? Just got one used off Ebay. The seller listed it as a 98LTS, but when I received the guitar I found the covers weren't soldered on the pickups and there was no evidence to suggest they ever were soldered. I believe the guitar is an '04. Serial # starts ED04... Any way to differentiate the different series via serial number? I'm not an expert on the feel of Nitro, but the finish certainly feels like Nitro and not a plasticy Poly. Great guitar and all of the Edwards hype is certainly well deserved. This guitar is soooo light! I lol when I pulled it from the box! Neck is nice and beefy too! Noticeably fuller than my Tokai LS200 and Burny Super Grade.

I've not seen any of the Lacquer Taste series with open p'ups. Their Original Series had a couple of models with open pups - I think the quilt top did. Regardless, they are great guitars. Here's the link to the ESP/Edwards website where you can review most of the guitars.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html

peacock72 said:
Is the difference between the Original and LTS just the finish?

Yeah, I think so. Same p'ups in both series. If you go to the link I posted earlier, you can pull up the various models from the drop down menus and see the specs in addition to the available colors.

Thanks for the info! Seller emailed me back and was quite adamant that what she had sold me was indeed a 98LTS. Regardless, the guitar is awesome!

in the 2004 catalog, the E-LP-85SD is pictured in two models...one with p`up covers and a pickguard, one without covers and no pickguard...not listed as lacquer finished.
The -90LTS has p`covers and pickguard and listed as lacquer finished top.
They came both with or without covers and the lacquer finish in 2004.

where can you pick up one of these EDWARDS catalogues? are they downloadable online as PDF files, if so, got any links? cheers

get mine from the Big Boss chain of ESP shops in the mean streets of Sendai. No idea whats listed on line.

peacock72 said:
Any way to differentiate the different series via serial number?

No s/n on the early models ... they've started with s/n anytime between 2003-05 ... :roll:
Be aware that the LTS series have a 'matte' finish, sometimes a little bit rough - but it'll disappear after polishing and playing alot !!! :wink:

Roger

Hi all,

I recently acquired a 2004 model, (I think!) in vintage sunburst, with no pick-guard (no holes, so you can tell there's never been one), and open coil Seymour Duncans. Looks GORGEOUS!!

Fit and finish are immaculate, and the lacquer is faultless.

Can anybody else help me out here though? Does your Edwards LP seem amazingly heavy? (even more so than I remember Gibsons being), and if so do you know why? Is it because, unlike modern Gibsons, there are no relief holes in the body. Also, the neck is REALLY beefy, and I'm having trouble getting to grips with it. Could this possibly be modelled on the 50's Gibson "fat neck" that I've heard of but never experienced.

This is the only trouble with buying guitars online, great value but you never get that chance to "try before you buy".

I will say though, if you want a Les Paul, but don't want to pay out for a Gibby, get an Edwards, both of us guitar players in my banduse them now. I got mine because I thought my bandmates was sooo cool.

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your Eddie ... What do you think about some pics ??? :wink: :wink:

We all love pics ... pics ... pics ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Concerning the weight ... My Eddie weighs approx. 8.8lbs - not too much for a solid LP ... my Tokai had 9.3lbs ...
The neck is medium chunky - but still comfortable ... But - to be honest - I personally prefer the slimmer '60's neck of my Classic ... 8)

Roger

Hi Tudor,

And thanks very much for the warm welcome. It's nice to be among like -minded guitar player friends.

Even with the chunky neck, I'm Loving my Eddie so far. I'm finding for rythm n riffing she's sublime, coupled up with my Marshall TSL602, I've never had such a gutsy guitar sound. Knocks spots off of my Epi LP Classic Plus. It still has the original delivery strings on it, (heavy, rigid, non bending) so soloing (even with "the neck" should get easier when I sling my fve hybrids on her.

How do I upload pictures here? I can't work it out?? (I know......doofus)

Hi Lee, if you want to post some pictures, sign up for an account with http://www.photobucket.com You can then either post a link to your pictures or you can copy and paste the IMG code into your messages.

Hi Kenmac,

I'll do that.

I've been meaning to give all my guitars a photo session for a while now, that seems an ideal way to show em off.

In the meantime, should any of you guys fancy taking a look at my new baby, here's the link to the sales / pictures page of her.

http://imageevent.com/nu2uguitars/espedwardsslashlpmiij

Hope you like.

Lee

my two Edwards Les Paul types are nowhere near as heavy as my Tokai...that things gotta be 10 pounds if it`s an ounce. The Edwards Les Paul jr. single dog ear P-90 is easily the lighest guitar I own

Hey Sneaky,

I must confess, I kinda like the weight of my Edwards, it's got a good positive "very there" feel to it.

I certainly wouldnt' hesitiate to get another one.

After years of "shredding" in hair metal bands, playing anything with a pointy headstock and a Floyd Rose, I now don't own any such guitars.

Ever since joining a "classic" rock band, I can so see why LP's are so popular. Aside from my MIJ '82 Squier Tele, I can't imagine using anything else now. And my Edwards is most definitely my fave.

Hey Sneaky,

I must confess, I kinda like the weight of my Edwards, it's got a good positive "very there" feel to it.

I certainly wouldnt' hesitiate to get another one.

After years of "shredding" in hair metal bands, playing anything with a pointy headstock and a Floyd Rose, I now don't own any such guitars.

Ever since joining a "classic" rock band, I can so see why LP's are so popular. Aside from my MIJ '82 Squier Tele, I can't imagine using anything else now. And my Edwards is most definitely my fave.

My Edwards is very light. Too light if you ask me. Seems there has to be some weight relief holes. It is nearly as light as my SGs. Neck is very substantial on mine too. Quite a bit thicker than my Tokai LS200. I'm a big fan of big necks though.

Latest posts

Back