Edwards Ebony fretboard or ebonised wood

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJconvert

Reaction score
Does ESP Edwards use real ebony or is it ebonised rosewood? I've seen some photos where there are brownish parts of the fretboard, perhaps its a lower grade ebony? Not too sure. Any ebony experts here? 8)

The E-SA-130LTC (ES335 model in black or white) has an ebony fretboard. Mine just arrived and that was one of the first things I looked at. I'm not sure how many of their other models feature ebony fretboards

Rosewood has a much more porous surface - ebony is more dense and you cannot see the the graining pattern or pores in the surface of the wood - almost looks like hard plastic. Sure you could stain rosewood to look like black ebony but rosewood has a visible fingerprint.

I'm out of town but I'll be posting pictures of it soon along with the Edwards Blackie relic Strat that just arrived. I'm quite pleased with both of them.

I have an edwards lp90-ltc and as far as i can tell its ebony, sure doesnt look anything like any rosewood ive ever seen. I have heard that ebony can have brown in it, but like the previous poster said it so much smoother than rosewood, slippery and hard (ooer!).

Inlay.JPG

I think you have the LP98-LTC (Les Paul Custom, right?) If so, the specs are below and like your pic shows, it's ebony.

BODY : (Top)Hard Maple
(Back)Mahogany
NECK : Mahogany
FINGERBOARD : Ebony , 22frets
SCALE : 628mm (24.75 inch) / Medium
JOINT : Set-Neck
PICKUPS : (Front) Seymour Duncan SH-1n
(Rear) Seymour Duncan SH-4
CONTROL : Front & Rear Volume
Front & Rear Tone
Toggle PU Selector
BRIDGE : Tune-Matic / Stop Tailpiece