eBay Tele id??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
Guys,

Can any of you help me with a rough date for this Tele (ie eBay #3706118192) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3706118192&indexURL=2#ebayphotohosting :eek: ?

It?s mainly the H-stock decal that?s puzzling me - I?ve see that logo before, so I?m sure it?s genuine, but I?ve no idea what date it corresponds to :eek: ? Non-pointy H-stock, so pre 86 :eek: ?

Dome knobs & Kluson copy tuners suggest it?s copying 1950?s Fender, but Fender didn?t use six saddle bridge till 70?s ? maybe the saddles are replacement, although bridge plate (stamped ?Tokai?) and tuners (stamped ?DeLuxe?) appear original?

Any useful comments much appreciated (useless comments welcome too!) :-? .

Ian.

That logo was only available in 1983.

Question: There are numerous posts on the forum that ask questions such as this plus the numerous emails I get asking the same questions. Is the information not clear on the main site? Are you aware of the main site (www.tokairegistry.com)? Do I need to change something to make the information clearer?

Ian - this isn't aimed at you just taking advantage of the thread to see if I need to change some things to make the information easier to access or a better presentation.

Also, if your click through from the Registry's eBay page and bid we get .05 US cents. Doesn't sound like much but every little bit helps.

Ned

Hi Ned,

Many thanks for the date on that Tokai. Yep you?re right, questions like this do get asked far too often, and usually because people can?t be bothered to look through the registry.

In my defence, I did look through the registry of course. Either that particular logo is not there, or else I?d have to agree that the info is not clear enough,?eh?not clear to me at any rate :lol: LoL (it?s not in the Catalogues either).

To be honest I think the dating & id section could be clearer, however, maybe any re-organisation should wait until we find out what those neck stamps mean, eg ?3 = 9? etc. (I did once offer to re-write that id section, offer still stands :-? ).

All the best,

Ian.

Ps:- T-shirts arrived last week;- lovely, many thanks!

LoveRocker - great suggestion on the links.

Ian - feel free to mock something up and send it to me. I'm slowing re-organizing the main site but I've been spending more time actually playing. With work and playing that leaves not much time, mostly work that interferes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Got the links up in the Announcement section. I'll work this week on reorganizing the information on that page. Please send suggestions.

Ned

Hi Ned & Barry,

Well, apart from any missing links, I think the real problem is that the Registry just isn?t clear enough on dating & id, especially for the Fender models.

That?s not to suggest for a moment that the whole Forum isn?t a fantastic piece of work. It IS fantastic. But like everything else, it?s not 100% perfect.

OK; I?ll draft something & you can decide if you want to use all of it, some of it, or none of it (no problem!).

I?m assuming there?s no great hurry for this, so in the meantime it makes sense if senior contributors post as much new or additional info. as possible (or email with info. & ideas re. id & dating).

Ian.
Ps:- I?ll probably have to pester senior guys like you & Barry with factual questions, and you?ll probably end up getting mad at me, but that?s a cross I have to bear, & maybe worth it all in the end :-? .

Hi Barry,

Ha,..?.OK well since you mention seven digit S/N?s :lol: ;- what do you make of this Breezy Custom eBay #3706158404 with 7-digit neckplate = 1018834 :eek: ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3706158404&category=38083 .

Registry only mentions 7 digits on headstock, & only for models SS60 and 60R (said to model 1976 Fender?). Do we nevertheless deduce that 101xxxx means 1981 for early Breezy TE70 (Custom only?)?

Ian
-------------------
Notes:- original Fender Custom Tele first released in 1959, briefly as top-loader with 5-screw guard & single butterfly tree (rosewood f-board), then from 1960 as string-through with 8-screw 3-ply guard; & from 1967 with optional maple f-board (the single Button tree & single-ply guard look wrong, more typical of 1950-54 Tele's, error by Tokai?).

Hi Barry,

Excellent, precisely what I wanted to know re. 7 digit S/Nos 8) .

Pick guard on that TE70 was obviously re-cut for the humbucker, so may be replacement guard anyway (maybe 8 screw holes underneath). Lovely looking guitar (bidders scared off by opening $700, LoL!) :-? .

Ian.

Latest posts

Back