Dimarzios on a Reborn Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joop

Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of buying a Reborn Les Paul and just want to know how you guys rate the stock Dimarzio PU's on those vintage Tokais?

Do most of you still got them in, or do you have them replaced? Also, any other PU manufacturers then Dimarzio that make all cream PU's so if you would replace the stock Dimarzios you still end up with the same look because I do like the look of the guitar that I have in mind.

I personally really like the Gibson '57 Classics but I would be a bit hesitant to change the PU's on a 1979 Reborn or is that something that a lot of people do.

Does some one have any sound samples available?

Cheers!

Joop

I bought some Antiquities awhile back to replace my stock pups in my Reborn LS60 - just to compare. Still haven't done them yet. The stock pickups are okay but nothing special.

Thanks for your reply but I believe that an LS60 Reborn didn't have Dimarzios as stock PU's, only LS80, 100 and 120 right?

HI,
The early reborns,reborn olds,love rock higher models had di marzio pafs.
These models that had them are LS100,LS120,LS150,all these LS models from 1978 up to 1984 had di marzios.
The LS 80 had goto pafs with double pole head screws with a gold back and inked stamped goto.
Think changed to tokai paf 57s late 1983-1984,MAYBE someone will clarify when they actually did change :) do not know how well the DMs sound or the gotos as my 1980 ls80 came with seymour duncan 59s,which the japanese owner had replaced.

There are a lot of threads on the TF about tokai pickups,sure someone will pop up with their opinion on the DMs
IF your thinking of buying an ls100 or higher you will need lots of euros,if it has reborn or reborn old on the headstock then you will need a few more, All the guitars from 1978 -1983 are basically the same quality guitar just a different name which makes them rarer,especially the reborn olds.
BUT I STILL GAS FOR A REBORN OLD OR REBORN LS 120 OR HIGHER MORE THAN A LOVE ROCK MODEL :-?

mojo hobo

I have 3 LP with the DM PU ( 1978 Greco EG900, 1981 Aria Leopard and 1982 love rock), I found them good and don't want to replace them. If I have to replace them, I'll choose some handwound PU.

I always thought the stock pickups on Tokai guitars sound good. The Gotoh PAFs are really nice, and I like them even better than the DiMarzio PAFs. But the old DiMarzio PAFs are pretty good pickups and you should be able to get a good classic rock sound out of them without a problem.

I have a '78 LS60 LP Reborn. I looked a couple of years ago and am sure that there was DiMarzio in there.

More output an less top end sparkle and upper mids than Mk11's.

The Highorders, which someone fitted in my '79 LS50 LP Reborn are PAF style, with similar output and have a little less top end sparkle than Mk11's. One day the original Gotohs will be retro~fitted, and then I can make comparisons.

The Treble position DiMarzio in the LS60 really gets a valve amps eyes open, but if they are too close to the strings, they lose some definition. They have a narrower "sweet spot" and getting them just right for you is worth it for "that" drivey rock and roll sound.

leadguitar_323 said:
Do you like the High Order pickups Peter, i have 2 sets of them and just love them, i am getting more.

Mick

Yes,.... yes I do like them. A lot.

The guy I bought the guitar from fitted the High Orders before I got it.

The thing is, I have a set of Mick Brierleys' pickups on the shelf.

He has since fitted some of Micks pickups to his other mahogany/maple guitars and reckons they are even better.

The Brierleys have been sitting there for more than six months now, because I need to get some push/pull pots to split them the way I want.

And the High Orders are pretty good anyway.

Thanks guys for your posts. I guess I will have to wait until I get the guitar and then try them out for my self. It would be nice I could keep in its orginal state...

3 of them have DiMarzios. :D

321_1257517182.jpg

NICE COLLECTION LE JUGE,
Can we please have some more photos and some more info!what are the other 2 lesters in the picture,

MOJO HOBO

I checked today my new LS60 '78 and has stamped X on the back of the pickups. Also, I noticed pots are 250 k. Any idea about pickups and why are pots 250 k?

Diodibuh said:
I checked today my new LS60 '78 and has stamped X on the back of the pickups. Also, I noticed pots are 250 k. Any idea about pickups and why are pots 250 k?

I've only seen the 250K pots on the circuit board loaded controls

hi
yes, the pots are on board. funny, usually there are 500k pots for humbuckers. So looks like this was quite common. Any idea of X marked pickups?

Latest posts

Back