Did I get taken?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrabows

Reaction score
Not sure why I didn't look into this more closely a year ago....but last May I purchased a Tokai Goldstar Strat from Songbird Music in Toronto.

They had it listed as a Japanese Made Strat...and it was one of three being sold for $579 Canadian, regularly sold at over $800. If any of you are familiar with Songbird they had the three Strats on their website forever.

Anyways...that was a year ago. And more recently I have been looking at this thing and there are no identifying marks on it at all regarding serial numbers. THere are no stickers, serial numbers, nothing. I turn it over and there are no distinguishing marks other than the Tokai logo on the headstock with the words Goldstar Sound. Typical Tokai logo.

How do I know if this thing is made in Japan...or even if its a Tokai at all. Would Songbird Music sell me something that may have been doctored?

Songbird is a pretty good shop so not sure they would intentionally misrepresent.

Was it purchased new? Does your receipt have a model number?

FWIW my MIK GoldStar has a serial number and all MIK Tokai Fender copies have serial numbers that start with a letter.

Ned

I don't think I kept the reciept but from what I remember it just said Tokai Strat on it.

Was it new....who knows. THey deal in used merchandise, so I'm not sure if it was or not. But the fact that there were three of them all together makes me think that they were new.

But what gets me is that there are no markings at all...nothing on the back plate, or the headstock.

This thing could be rebadged peice of plywood for all I know. Maybe I'll take the neck off and see if there are any markings at all.

Hi rgrabows ? it?s a funny thing about guitars, not just Tokai, but most makers just put their name on the headstock, & that?s it. Sometimes you get ?Made in Japan? or ?Made in USA? or whatever, but more often you get nothing, not even a model name/number.

What they do have, Tokai & others, is stamps on the hardware fittings, and manufacturing codes in the body cavities (you don?t need to remove the neck).

But just on your Goldstar ? I can?t say about very recent models, but all older Tokais should have what looks like a serial number either on the neck-plate (it?s actually an id-number for model specification) or rarely on the headstock. The saddles are usually stamped Tokai, & the Kluson style tuners are usually stamped either ?Deluxe? or ?Tokai?. You can check that stuff without unscrewing anything.

If you want to unscrew the pickguard, you should find the base of the pups stamped ?U?, ?V? or ?VII? or similar. In the body cavities you?ll probably find a mysterious Tokai code in the form of two numbers either side of an ?equals sign?, eg a number like 5=12 (so far nobody knows what those numbers mean). The same code is invariably on the butt of the neck, but I wouldn?t bother removing the neck just to confirm that. Hope that helps :-? .

Ian.

:eek: I bought the Black 56' Goldstar from Songbird that was one of the 3 guitars on thier site, I paid $450, it was the last one. It is Japanese made. I changed the electronics,the pups were too bright for a maple neck. I swaped the VanZant True Vintage pup's in my pink AST 62'and put the bright ones in the 62'...they both sound better! There are MIJ markings on the electronics. I love the big chunky c shaped neck, it's a a very vintage colored yellow. I have played a few Korean Tokai strats...very nice guitars but different machines and hardware, two string trees. I have 6 Tokai MIJ strats and this one from Songbird is my favorite! 8) These were the last MIJ strats that will be shipped to Canada, that's what they told me when I bought it. I wanted a Blackie and as luck would have it this was the last strat they had! :lol: looks great with the aged pup covers and knobs! :wink: TG

TokaiGuy...OK I'm starting to feel better about this now.

Mine was the Sunburst model..you got a great deal at under $500 if these things are Japanese made. I have no idea what the model number it though.

:D There is nothing wrong with a Korean Tokai, I have a Korean SG that is a great guitar. I prefer it over a MIJ SG I bought in the 80's. They are identical but the Korean has a "Wheels of Fire " tone is awsome! Relax, Songbird is a reputable store, they were great when I bought my "Blackie" Absolutly the best neck of any of my Tok's and I love the yellow laquer 8) Do you find the pup's a little harsh? They are great with a rosewood board. :wink: Boyakasha! TG

Back