Custom/Mystery? 1982 Burny Super Grade RLG-? Curled Birdseye

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mick51 said:
Udonitron said:
I was going to pick up some acetone yesterday but buying a huge can of it for one little test is a waste (not needed otherwise).

You don't need to buy a container of straight acetone. Buy a small bottle of fingernail polish remover. Just make sure that it does, in fact, contain acetone - some newer formulations don't. Should be about 70% acetone by volume, and that should do the trick.

Be sure you get the unscented variety otherwise your guitar will smell like berries or lemon for months.

Mmmm berries...aghghgher *drool*

Yeah my fiancee told me to use her fingernail polish yesterday but I thought the acetone content would have been too minuscule in that bottle. Good to know it would be enough! I will try it when I get home from work! :wink:

Udonitron said:
3pupLPC said:
Hard to tell.... does it have a headstock veneer, or is it painted black? Also, acetone in one of the cavities :) If it is a special order, I would expect nitro and not poly.

I was going to pick up some acetone yesterday but buying a huge can of it for one little test is a waste (not needed otherwise). I am waiting for my folks to get back from a trip and I will drive out to their place and do the test there. Hope it is lacquer :D

Nail polish remover is acetone and comes in very small bottles....try that..

Mick

Udo, Udo, that sounds familiar. Listen, I'm here to learn stuff so PM me any asian women stuff :D

I'm envious btw. Nice find!

AFA the finish, my guess is poly .........................

............. I forgot to add one observation; the inlays look like the mid to late 1980s two tone celluloid, instead of the early to mid 1980s multi color plastic stuff ..............

that would match up with the no neck heel era thing ......................

Mmmm not too sure MIJvintage. I personally do not think you can base the guitars age purely off the inlays per say. I just sold a late 80's (1988) Burny and the inlays in that were a lot different from mine. I actually prefer the late 80's Burny inlays as they are more pearloid. Mine are more of a solid white with a bit of depth to them, depending on the angle. These on the 88 Burny are gorgeous and have a lot more depth & discontinuities to them. The fret edge binding on the one in question is a hell of a lot better than on any of the mid to late 80's Burny's I have owned as well. Much more precise, cut, and defined to each fret vs. being a mound shape. I will test out the finish tonight after work and let you all know

012copy.jpg

VS.
038copy.jpg

Udonitron said:
Mmmm not too sure MIJvintage. I personally do not think you can base the guitars age purely off the inlays per say.

Agreed .............. my mention of the fret markers was not at all an attempt to base the age of your example from only one attribute but as we have agreed, it is but one attribute of many that can possibly offer a clue as to the time frame of manufacture .........

I've owned about thirty Burny examples, and not a one had a serial number so, determining an approximate date of manufacture has always been guess work, based on an individual examples' particular set of attributes ........... :) ............

I wouldn't be to concerned with the inlays and so on, do you buy them to play or look at.? I think the earlier ones are generally better guitars and more Gibbo accurate than the newer ones, when looking at or for a burny i mainly look at the earlier models..

Mick

OK just went and bought a small bottle of 100% Acetone for $2 in the beauty section (used for removing fake nails etc). Dabbed some in the pup cavity and it softened/melted it! So nitro it is!!! :D I am **** happy about that!!

Wow...score Mick! From Japan or within the US? Those are the best Bacchus made besides the Dukes. The others are Chinese, albeit good, but not BLS-59+ good :p

Back