Custom made through The Guitar Shop

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah :lol: I like the diamond shaped truss rod cover that Tokai used to make. Can't find them anywhere in Japan though. Will order one from TOGPS.

Thanks for all the compliments!

Beautiful looking guitar..
Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's basically a lefty LS90 Violin Finish top with Zebra MK2s?

stratmoto said:
I could reliably predict that when the instrument is finished, that Minoupark will be more than satisfied. In fact, I am sure that it will exceed his expectations.

OK, now that you have actually had it in your hands.........

.....was I right?

:D 8)

I looks fabulous from here

lol ya Stratmoto you were right.
Let's put it this way. If I came across this guitar in a random guitar shop, I would have paid much much more than 900$ that I paid for this beauty in the end. And I wouldn't trade this for a brand new gibby std either. 8)

JVsearch said:
Minoupark said:

Yes. It also has nitro finish and a long tenon.

Ok, so it's nothing like an LS-90! :D
More like an LS-150 with a 3 piece top.

Don't wanna go 12 rounds with you, :), but... it's a lot more like an LS90 than an LS150.

It doesn't have an aluminium tailpiece, it doesnt have brass saddles, it doesn't have a one piece body, it doesn't have a two piece top, it doesn't have CTS pots, it doesn't have a sprague orange drop, it doesn't have switchcraft switches.

Having said that, it's an absolutely gorgeous guitar.

Minoupark said:
lol ya Stratmoto you were right.
Let's put it this way. If I came across this guitar in a random guitar shop, I would have paid much much more than 900$ that I paid for this beauty in the end. And I wouldn't trade this for a brand new gibby std either. 8)

When was the last time you played a GLP Standard?

I'll tell you what.
Play and gig your Tokai for 3 months, and then pick up a GLP Standard...you'll be very surprised, you'll start sleeping with your Tokai next to you. :)

Very nice Minoupark, :D

Where you going for the slash VOS look?

What sort of electronics did you get with it?

Can we see some pics of the back and neck please?

Glad that everything worked out for you :wink:

Yeah Diamond is right, some of the features on the guitar are closer to LS90 than 150, like hardware and number of wood pieces that make up the body. The upgrades to one piece body was only like 80 bucks which I forgot to order. I personally don't really think it makes any difference. Plus, I wanted the look of a cheap, basic utilitarian guitar just like Slash's GLP Std was (Ya I was going for the 3-piece top Slash LP look from the start and I think the mission is accomplished :p). Hopefully the nitro will start cracking after a few years of abuse, which will complete the look :wink:

I will upload more photos some time soon. BTW Phil thanks for your insight about the bridge holes. Your comments were extremely helpful.

So it seems like there are possible upgrade options to my humble LS90-based guitar. The only ones that I would consider at this point would be the pickups, cause I like the sound of SD Alnico II much better (I also like those TroneBuckers from Acy's GR). As for other hardware and electronics, I think there is more room for improvement in my guitar-playing ability than the guitar itself 8)

Minoupark said:
Yeah Diamond is right, some of the features on the guitar are closer to LS90 than 150, like hardware and number of wood pieces that make up the body. The upgrades to one piece body was only like 80 bucks which I forgot to order. I personally don't really think it makes any difference. Plus, I wanted the look of a cheap, basic utilitarian guitar just like Slash's GLP Std was (Ya I was going for the 3-piece top Slash LP look from the start and I think the mission is accomplished :p). Hopefully the nitro will start cracking after a few years of abuse, which will complete the look :wink:

I will upload more photos some time soon. BTW Phil thanks for your insight about the bridge holes. Your comments were extremely helpful.

So it seems like there are possible upgrade options to my humble LS90-based guitar. The only ones that I would consider at this point would be the pickups, cause I like the sound of SD Alnico II much better (I also like those TroneBuckers from Acy's GR). As for other hardware and electronics, I think there is more room for improvement in my guitar-playing ability than the guitar itself 8)

I think that was about the most sensible post I've ever read :D

Diamond said:
JVsearch said:
Minoupark said:

Yes. It also has nitro finish and a long tenon.

Ok, so it's nothing like an LS-90! :D
More like an LS-150 with a 3 piece top.

Don't wanna go 12 rounds with you, :), but... it's a lot more like an LS90 than an LS150.

It doesn't have an aluminium tailpiece, it doesnt have brass saddles, it doesn't have a one piece body, it doesn't have a two piece top, it doesn't have CTS pots, it doesn't have a sprague orange drop, it doesn't have switchcraft switches.

Having said that, it's an absolutely gorgeous guitar.

Long tenon and nitro?
I guess my question is, what is that actually makes a "premium model" LS-150? I hope a large part of it is not just hardware/electronics, which is easy to change. The two piece body, ok yes, but what would have been the situation if Minou had ordered an LS-160 lefty with a 3 piece top? Would it still be a custom order LS-160?

If I can buy a custom order LS-90 with a one piece back, long tenon and nitro finish, then add about $200 worth of parts will it be equivalent to an LS-160? Or is there an extra ingredient in the LS-160 like wood selection or a team built production process that results in a better guitar?

I think Minou's LS deserves to called an LS-127 or something weird like that. :lol:

............... I think it should be a LS-123 because .................

1. he made 1 order
2. it took Tokai 2 times to get it right
3. it has a 3 piece top

enjoy your LS-123 :lol: ....................

If it was an Ibanez it could be called an LS123CVFNDNTZMK2LS

Custom Violin Finish Nitro Deep Neck Tenon Zebra MK2 Lefty Special.

;)

JVsearch said:
I think Minou's LS deserves to called an LS-127 or something weird like that. :lol:

The same model with nickel covers on the pickups is the LS127...didn't you know that? :)

JuniorEnthousiast said:
LS one off => LS 1off => LS1OFF => LS 1077

somebody stop me...

Stop being ridiculous - that's far too logical for Tokai!

:lol:

Nice guitar, by the way.

Back