Current Fender Japan - made by Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurS

Reaction score
Well, as far as I know Tokai Japan doesn't produce any Fender-copies anymore, the only available models being made in Korea. However, I'm pretty sure I read here a while ago that Tokai had secured a deal with Fender to start making the Fender Japan guitars.

Can anyone confirm this? As far as I know Fender Japans have been made by Fuji Gen Gakki for the last 20-odd years, and from what I've heard I can hardly believe Tokai has the capacity to fulfill the demand a deal with FMIC Japan would generate. So, just a rumour or is it true after all? If so, any word on how the Tokai Fender Japans compare to the FGG Fender Japans?

Tokai does produce strat and tele replicas in japan, I have a 2002 AST-50 strat. They are available both in Sweden, Finland and Great Britain for example:
http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/springysound.htm

According to Ned Tokai now also produces the Fender Japan models.

Mike

Well that's interesting! I was playing with the idea of picking up a new Japanese Fender because it would be made by Tokai, but as it turns out I could also get a new Japanese Tokai for a very reasonable price!

How do you like the AST-50, Javelin? It seems you were very pleased with it when you got (I searched the forum), but how do you think it compares to the various MIM and MIA Fenders? And how good do you think it is compared to the legendary early 80s Springy Sounds?

Oh and if you happen to have some pictures, I'd really like to see some. You could send them to arthur55scheffer /at/ gmail [dot] com. (please remove the two fives in the first part of the address... **** spam robots are everywhere nowadays :x )

I don't have any pictures of it at the moment but I'll try to take a few as soon as possible. And yes, I like the AST-50 very much, it's a great guitar especially when you consider the price in Japan which is the same as a TST-50 twenty years ago (50000 yen)!

Mike

:eek: I bought a 56'black 2002 MIJ Goldstar from Songbird last year and it's my favourite strat! A big chunky C neck with the yellow laquor. A set of VanZant True Vintage and some aged pup covers and knobs and away we go. The original pup's were a bit shrill with the maple neck but sound great in my 84' AST with the rosewood board. Good Luck :wink: TG

Back