Chinese Tokai SGs: argh, xmas panic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanN

Reaction score
I had an Epiphone G-400 Faded SG and G-Dec ordered from Digital Village (www.dv247.com) and they took my cash straight away, sat on the order for 9 days, and I've had to phone them to find that they won't have stock until the new year. Utterly appalling customer service - no indication from them that there was any trouble with the order. And of course it'll be the middle of next week before I get my cash back. :evil:

Anyway, I'm now stuck for finding a decent SG as a present for a beginner. What are the Chinese USG-35s like as a replacement for the Epi? All alternatives considered too!

Ouch!

Should have ordered it from Sean at Nevada Music in Portsmouth.

I got a G400 from there by mail and they were really, really good.

Chinese Tokais? Pretty good. A beginner would be fine with it. The Epi G400 is a decent instrument too. Avoid anything cheaper though (Like the G310) with the bolt-on necks.

Hope this helps!

Graham.

Alan The Chinese Burny's are cracking guitars for the money, I haven't actually played an SG, but both the Les Pauls & 335's are superb.

Here's one on ebay, they might have some different colours too, also you yould try Steven James guitars in Middlesbrough

Correct headstock too!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BURNY-RSG-50-63-WH-Super-Grade-Guitar-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ230311819974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item230311819974&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

DV247 are a sod for doing that.

They should flag out of stock items and email you. I also believe that under UK consumer law they cannot debit your credit card until dispatch.

The Chinese Tokai SG's are ( IMHO ) better then the Epi's. :wink:

I haven't tried the SGs, but I did have a quick try of one of the Chinese Tokai 335s ealier this week, & it seemed surpisingly good to me. Specially for ?299 in a West End store. I didn't plug it in though.

Good luck!

Mike

PS Advice from that Martin geezer who does the money saving show on the TV:

Get money back on late Christmas deliveries. If you or the retailer specified the goods were for delivery before Xmas, and you don't get them in time, it's a breach of contract and you've a right to compensation. Thus write "must be delivered before Christmas" on order documents before signing.

I wouldn't mind, but I called them last week to confirm everything was hunky-dory and they said everything was fine. :evil:

Tried contacting Nevada Music but it's ringing out - I'll try again in 10 mins.

The Burny looks fantastic, but it's double the budget I've been given (?300 inc. amp/lead/stand).

Thanks for the advice and suggestions so far gents, please keep them coming!

AlanN said:
I wouldn't mind, but I called them last week to confirm everything was hunky-dory and they said everything was fine. :evil:

Tried contacting Nevada Music but it's ringing out - I'll try again in 10 mins.

The Burny looks fantastic, but it's double the budget I've been given (?300 inc. amp/lead/stand).

Thanks for the advice and suggestions so far gents, please keep them coming!

The 'Vintage' SG's are also pretty good, and only just over ?100!!

No worries Alan.

If you want to check out my review of the G400 Deluxe that I bought it's on here:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Epiphone/G-400+Deluxe/10/1

Mine's the first one you come to. "Graham H"

The reason I recommended Nevada was that having been distinctly underwhelmed with the 'take it or leave it mate' attitude when I looked at one in Denmark Street, I looked online and Nevada was the cheapest.

When I called them, Sean was very enthusiastic and even offered to look through his stock and send me the one with the best 'book-matching' of veneers that he had on the shelf. Which he did.

It seemed as though nothing was too much trouble for him, which is a change from London!

I recommended a friend to them for a beginner acoustic for her daughter. Nevada had a stupidly cheap deal on a Yamaha with all the accessories (Stand, tuner, bag, etc) which she ordered.

Only the guitar turned up. When she rang Nevada they said that the package deal was a mistake on their website, and the price and order code were for the guitar alone, but given that it was their mistake they'd send her out all the 'missing' bits Free Of Charge separately. Which they did - and very quickly!

That's why I like them. Good guys. :D

Unfortunately they're out of stock until after xmas. Bah!

I wish Gibson hadn't given up on Rosetti!

Thanks John, I'll take a look at those too and see what they're like.

Alan

Have you asked Richard at Richtone if he's got any of the Chinese Tokai SG's? He's a good bloke to deal with too. Honest and reliable.

How about this?

http://tinyurl.com/6q8qkp

I'd say that would probably be a better built guitar than the Epi too, even if the body woods aren't 'correct' it'll be well thought out and sound good. If it was crap Tokai wouldn't put their name on it. Simple as that.
If the recipient likes it he can upgrade pickups etc. as he sees fit, but the base instrument would be a good quality foundation to build it all on.

I've played almost ALL the Chinese Tokai range and the SG is easily comparable to the G400.
A little bit of cosmetic issues(runs in the poly at the neck join and sloppy headstock painting especially on the white painted models)but they definitely give the Chinese Epi's a run for their money.

Latest posts

Back