Changing P90 in Greco Jr DC

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

januz

Reaction score
Hi,

I?ve got a 1988 Greco Jr Double Cut and as I can?t stand the hum from the stock P90 I?ve ordered a Hum cancelling Lindy Fralin P90.

P1010001-8.jpg

(This is the first time I try to change a P90 :oops: )

When removing the dogear cover from the guitars stock PU I noticed that there where neither "wings" on the pickup under the dogear cover nor any screws in the holes in between the polepieces to the 5:th/4:th strings and 3:rd/2:nd strings like on a normal soapbar mounting.
Still the PU sits there like a rock :eek:
There are smaller holes in between the outer pairs of strings, but I can?t detect any screws in there either.

Can the pickup be glued somehow :x (Was that one method used at the factorys?)

mertzy said:
I don't know anything about changing that pickup but i want that guitar.

Yes it?s a nice guitar 8)

It would be even nicer with the new Fralin P90 but so far I haven?t dared to try to bend the old pickup loose in case it is attached in some way that I haven?t been able to figure out...

I was hoping for some info about the usual way that they used to attached the P90?s at the factory, but maybe this isn?t the original PU? (The guitar has been around a while now (1988), so a change of pickup might have taken place)

If some of you out there own a similar guitar, I?d love some info about how the P90s are mounted in your instruments!

Like I said I don't know but I did read a horror story about a kid removing the P-90 cover from his dad's vintage Gibson only to unwind the pickup in the process.

I think Fralin has a warning on his website not to remove the pickup cover from certain pickups b/c you may unwind and ruin the pickup.

BE CAREFUL!

mertzy said:
Like I said I don't know but I did read a horror story about a kid removing the P-90 cover from his dad's vintage Gibson only to unwind the pickup in the process.

I think Fralin has a warning on his website not to remove the pickup cover from certain pickups b/c you may unwind and ruin the pickup.

BE CAREFUL!

The cover isn?t a problem at all in this case!

It?s just that the PU most probably is glued in some way (maybe by using this tape that is "sticky" on both sides. Such a tape of good quality can bond extremely hard with the two surfaces it is attached to...) and that I?m afraid to break something when trying to remove it :x

When I realised that there was no other possibility than that the PU was glued into the guitar I dared to use more force when bending it, and finally it came loose. (In one piece :D )

The Hum cancelling Fralin is now installed, and it has a fatter tone/higher output compared to the Greco P90.
The hum is gone but I do miss the brightness of the bass strings a bit...

The Fralin P90 is taller than the Greco P90 so it took some adjustments of the string height to be able to get the strings to vibrate freely.
Still they are closer to the polepieces than I would like them to be. (The strings beeing a bit higher than I would like them to be as well)

The Fralin PU seems like a good alternative - if not 100% P90 sounding - for those that can not stand the P90 hum.

Latest posts

Back