Burny Super Grade on its way - what upgrades?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes She's arrived.
And very very nice.
I only manged to play for half an hour due to prior comitments but i'm hooked.
Tomorrow - friday- i'll get a good chance to go over her and see what's underneath and crank up the 18watt.
Cobra

Please tell us what its like when you get the chance. I would of been tempted to bid on it myself If I hadn't just bought a spur of the moment guitar from villager.

Love to see it. And don't change it unless it's absolutely necessary :)

I've posted the pics and info under a new topic

'Burny super Grade Pics and Info'

Cobra

cobra8272 said:
What upgrades are recommended if any.
I've read that stopbar, bridge, pots and nut should be replaced.
Is this correct and if so what should i upgrade with?
In general:
don't change anything if you like the guitar as is. ;)

In special: i have a late 80s/early90s Burny Super grade, and the pots are excellent!
I can't recommend to change such great pots.

I changed the stopbar to an alu stop piece. It slightly changed the sound. It is just a matter of taste what sound you prfeer: the iron stop piece or an alu stopbar.
The nut of my Burny is quite ok, but i do not know whether its original or already an upgrade by a former owner.

What i did change was the pickups. Especially my bridge pPU sounded great when clean but for my taste too weak when overdriven. Thats just a matter of taste.
Now i have a DiMarzio AirNorton zebra in the bridge position and i am quite happy with it. More output than the original bridge PU, but not too hot (output is less than a JEff Beck), lotsa mids, but not mushy. The AirNorton in teh bridge is almost perfect for my taste.

I tried 2 neck PUs (Rockinger PAF ETC, DiMarzio Virtual PAF Neck zebra). I didn't like the Rockinger (although it is a great PU) in my Burny. The Virtual PAF is ok. It needed some fixing (lower on the bass strings, higher on treble strings). Now it sounds ok, but i still think about re-installing the original Burny PU.

To put it short: the only change I needed to fit my sound was the bridge PU. I mainly play rock/metal/overdriven blues rock. The rest was quite ok and the pots are supperb!
;)

See you
B. III

Hi B111
do wear the same clothes as B1 and B2?
Only joking!
I saw your other post and i like your Burny - Very Nice!
I also think the pickups are a touch thin.
Whilst i'm happy enough with the bridge i'm alittle so-so about the neck.
other way round to you !
But yes i'm really happy and glad i pulled the trigger.
Stopped my GAS for oh at least two weeks! :D
Cobra

Latest posts

Back