Burny LP Custom - replace VH1s before selling?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashbrook

Reaction score
Hello all.
I am going to try and get round to selling a few guitars (space issues).

One of these is a Burny Les Paul custom. They don't seem to be selling for much these days (at least not in the UK) - maybe it's due to the weight (approx 10lbs!).

When I got it a couple of years ago, I had some spare 4 conductor Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers installed (with 4xpush-pull pots to give various coil split and series/parallel options). I really like these pickups but I understand that the VH1s are very popular too.

My question is: before selling, should I pay to get the original VH1 pickups reinstalled or should I try and sell it with the replacement SDs?

I'm only asking as I think I'd be lucky to get ?300 for the Burny and yet a set of used Seth Lovers seem to sell for nearly a third of that.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

Brendan

Do you have the VH-1s or would you have to buy them?

Do you know how to take the SDSLs out and solder the VH-1s in?

I actually like the sound of the Seth Lovers.

I wouldn't sell the guitar with two sets of pickups however.

While the Seth Lovers are great (I have two sets in guitars), you can always buy them. You can't buy the old VH-1's any more. I have some in an SG and I like them just fine - nice snarly output.

Thanks for the replies.

I like the Seth Lovers a lot and would be tempted to keep them and transplant them into which of my 335s I decide to keep (Tokai ES120 or Orville 335 - a tough choice).

Unfortunately, they've got gold covers, so I'd probably have to get them switched (although I have heard that Duraglit will remove the gold plating).

Although I have replaced pick ups on a Les Paul - I had the Seth Lovers put in by a pro due to all the extra stuff to do with the push-pulls.

I suppose I could just about replace the VH1s though and this is currently my preferred (approach although I hate soldering)!

Thanks again for the advice.
Brendan

I would put the original pups back in. Why ? I have found the people on auctions to be incredibly cheap. You can put an expensive set of pups in a guitar and at auction it will only bring a few dollars more than the pups that came with it.

That is right whitehall. And now as this Japan Vintage thing is going people will want all original guitars for sure.i have no doubt about cahnging pickups in my MIJ guitars but I would never sell original pups now....who knows about resale value in future?There are JV collectors now...

Latest posts

Back