Burny LP Custom identification

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Ed

Reaction score
Hi

Does someone have an idea, which year of construction and model it concerns with these Burny?
It possesses neither a serial number still another model designation.

80_BurnyLesPaulCustom-7.jpg

80_BurnyLesPaulCustom-12.jpg

80_BurnyLesPaulCustom-17.jpg

80_BurnyLesPaulCustom-4.jpg

Which pickups are that? VH-1? There is no sticker on the pickup mounting ring.

80_BurnyLesPaulCustom-6.jpg

Thanks!

Regards
Big Ed

Yes it's an RLC60 with L8000 pickups.
Nice guitar but the pickups and electrics are not the best.
However the gold knobs (volume / tone) and the pickup selector switch are not original.
The guitar can be from 82 (first appearance in the catalogue) up to 88 (change in trussrod and diamond inlay and all pickups are now called VH1s).

Bumblebee said:
Nice guitar but the pickups are not the best.
whooaaaaa! :) There's a lot of us out here who would disagree with that statement! Pots are not the best, and the caps can be replaced... but the early Burny pups?!? Never leaving my guitars!

3pupLPC said:
Bumblebee said:
whooaaaaa! :) There's a lot of us out here who would disagree with that statement! Pots are not the best, and the caps can be replaced... but the early Burny pups?!? Never leaving my guitars!
Well I guess "good sound" is always a personal definition. The L8000 sound like the T-Buckers. And personally I don't like that sound. But I'm more into the P90 sound than humbucker sounds.
Talking about pots: Do you know what pots I need to replace them (shaft length, diameter, metric, riffle shaft)?
And another question: does anybody know if the RLC-60 has a two piece or three piece body?

Bumblebee said:
3pupLPC said:
Bumblebee said:
Well I guess "good sound" is always a personal definition. The L8000 sound like the T-Buckers. And personally I don't like that sound. But I'm more into the P90 sound than humbucker sounds.
Talking about pots: Do you know what pots I need to replace them (shaft length, diameter, metric, riffle shaft)?
And another question: does anybody know if the RLC-60 has a two piece or three piece body?

I have used SD Phat Cat P-90s in solid maho SG's and loved them... and I've been very tempted in adding another RLC to the collection to try them in. Like this one!
4091518217_983ca879ab1.jpg

I am sure that would be a great combo. I had a set of GFS Dream 90's that were pretty good too. The GFS also come in black trimmed in gold, which I think would look quite nice on an ebony Custom. I wish that Burny had done a '54/56 Custom reproduction with the black P-90's... I know Greco did, but I just can't warm to the Greco Customs... even the 1000.

As far as body pieces go, a cherry burst late 80's RLC that a friend has is 4-pc. Very well matched, but 4-pc none the less, and that on a see through finish. I think the likelyhood of 3 or even 2 piece bodies increases as you go back in production years.

and the other question about pots... to change to CTS pots you will have to bore out the holes just a little with a round file. No big deal, it took me about 5 minutes per hole. Just file downwards from the top. And I needed long shaft pots. Just add a couple extra nuts on the cavity side to set the to the right height.

I found this number in the neck cavity of my Burny RLC.

burny_rlc_serial.jpg

Is it possible that the Burny is year of construction 1982?

In addition it has a full mahogany body without a maple cap.

Thanks!
Regards
Ed

It's possible, alot of early truss rod covers on Burny's have a wide white edge, I've noticed some early 80's Burny's having a serial number in the neck pickup route aswell.

i have one in white.

at first it looked cream in the picture like my RR70 (requested to owner to a picture, outdoor but he never found time)...but when the guitar arrived, it was sort of vintage white..ala hendrix..and some areas are yellowish/ cream.

unfortunately, the PUs weren't original anymore, but I have an extra pair of vh1s. so I'm putting it there after having it refretted.

yeah..it looked like there's no maple top too. excecept the body, if I remember correctly was 4 piece.

I also had the top refinished with our top local luthier..the previous did a poor job restoring it. i saw an older picture of where the top was vandalled badly. and the restoring didn't do justice as well because paint ruined the neck and body bindings.

rlc 60..thanks to this thread, now I know what model i have. The previous owner labeled it wrong...taking specs from an rlc120..but upon my inspection it wasn't. bummer.

but, its an rlc nonetheless..I'm still happy. God is good.

Latest posts

Back