Braz boards on early Reborns.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and here is an early EGF-1200 Board

DSC06310.jpg

DSC06312.jpg

DSC06309.jpg

Hope this is helpful.... I do have 2 other guitars with Brazilian Boards

OK, here are three pics that have been posted here B4 :wink: ; pics of the fingerboard of my 2000 Tokai LS-320.
As we all know, this model is specified as having Braz? ?????
LS-320braz1out.jpg

LS-320braz2out.jpg

LS-320tenon.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is gonna get a bit snarky ???
Here are a few pics of a ?board from a Fender Japan ORDER MADE example that I should have NEVER SOLD :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ............

It was sold to me by a very reputable dealer as having a Brazilian fingerboard.
I have NEVER seen another ?board on any Fender Japan Strat match the beauty of this piece of rosewood.
Notice the last photo has a red colored J stamp on the neck heel; don?t know if that means Jacaranda, or what the F ???
ALL I know is that it was a HUGE mistake to ever dream of selling this guitar :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Just pisses me off that I am such a douche ???? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ...........

OK, breathe deep, ?????? I?m still kicking myself in the *** for ever selling this one ?????

OrderMadeBrazilian1-1.jpg

OrderMadeBrazilian2-1.jpg

OrderMadeBrazilian3-1.jpg

CANDY Green Metallic w/silver under coat ............ WHY :evil: :evil: :evil: ..............
OrderMadeBrazilian4-1.jpg

OrderMadeBrazilian5-1.jpg

OK, SERIOUS therapy session needed :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ................ :-? :-? :-? :lol: :lol: ..............

You're not the only one that's sold something and regretted it later, we're all guilty of that!!

Probaly not to that kind of level though!! What were you thinking!!

:wink:

stratman323 said:
One possible conclusion from this discussion is that, if most people can't tell the difference, there's no significant advantage of Brazilian over other rosewoods. In other words, it doesn't matter..

Just a thought. :wink:

IMO, that thought is correct.

The braz myth came from acoustic guitars using it as tone woods in the body, for fretboards I just can't believe it does anything for tone. Some examples do look fantastic though (MIJ - sorry! But I've done much worse).

Braz just = $$$ because of its scarcity.

It's accepted that examples of Indian or Madagascan boards can be found that are as hard and slippery as good Braz, and that there are examples of Braz that just look like any old rosewood board. It still depends on the tree I guess.

JVsearch said:
stratman323 said:
One possible conclusion from this discussion is that, if most people can't tell the difference, there's no significant advantage of Brazilian over other rosewoods. In other words, it doesn't matter..

Just a thought. :wink:

IMO, that thought is correct.

Agreed x 2

If most players, buyers, collectors, etc., cannot differentiate between standard species of rosewood & Brazilian, than I agree there must be no real advantage to Brazilian, with the exception that it smells nice :p

I have seen a few examples of 2003 Gibson R9 models with verified Brazilain boards, and the fact that they have Brazilian basically triples the price.
Isn't that nice :-? ..........................

It reminds me of the long tenon vs. regular tenon debate :lol: ...........................

That Fender custom order with Braz board looked beautiful though, I'm sure there's no tonal advantage over Indian RW, but when it's that pretty the benefits are obvious, Certainly wouldnt pay a premium for Braz that just looked like Indian (or a long tenon :D )

The book 'Beauty of the Burst' mentions that Gibson used Brazilian rosewood on fretboards, because the hardness was in between ebony and indian rosewood.
This is in turn gave the early Gibson necks a higher ridgity other than that of guitars built in later years.

came across these while looking thru' my photo archive ........
both shots from a very early (0 0678 serial #) 1980 EGF-850, which I believe was spec.ed with Brazilian ...........
It's the same 'board; lighting is a bit different in each shot .........
EGF8508.jpg

EGF8507.jpg

maybe this can be of some help, it's a quote from another forum;

Smell is sufficient for me to distinguish BR from EIR. The name 'rosewood' was coined in reference to Brazilian rosewood, because of the rose smell. True rosewoods are not in the rose family. EIR smells like cow manure to me.
The pores in EIR are more numerous and shorter than the longest pores in BR. The black lines are more distinct in BR. The dark lines in EIR are rarely completely black, and are fuzzy on the edges. They also tend to be variable in thickness along the length, where the black lines in BR frequently look like they were drawn with a pen.
"Spiderwebbing" or "landscaping" is almost never seen in EIR. That is characterized by a thick black line with many thinner lines intersecting it on one side only.
Color is not a reliable way to separate the two woods, although the reds in EIR generally have a purplish cast. Darker BR tends to be more greenish, rather than purple, especially when viewed in strong sunlight.

Latest posts

Back