binding on LS 380

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like we have a little conspiracy theory running through the forum today!

Given Ishabashi's reputation, the poor lighting in the picture, and the recend binding changes confirmed by several reliable sources I would bet large sums of money that the guitar is, in fact, an LS380 as described.

togps said:
togps said:
I sold some LS380, LC180S and LC185 so far.
They feature fret bindings.
So, beware what and where you buy!

The president of Tokai answered me, that at present time, there are no further models, of the current japenese catalogue Vol. 23, equipped with fret edge binding.

Hope that helps.

EDIT:
To avoid misunderstandings:
LS380, LC180S and LC185 are the only models of the current JapaneseTokai catalogue Vol. 23 which feature fret edge binding.

I was just playing my 1978 LS-60 Les Paul Reborn and the fret ends are as smooth as silk so I couldn`t care less that it doesn`t have the binding.

paladin you are right about ishibashi's great reputation, I always buy my guitars from them, and I live in europe (so that says a lot) however, it wouldn't be the first time they made a big confusion (probably because of some misunderstanding), and that guitar doesn't look like a 380 to me, in no aspect what so ever... the flame top doesn't look right, nor do the inlays, but like someone sugested, it's probably just a bad photo, and I'm probably wrong...

togps says lc-185 and 180s have fret binding, so does the ls-380, shouldn't the 230 have it also then? I personally had the idea only ls-380 had the binding... and j-guitar has a lc-185 with a close up photo of the fretboard, it doesn't seem to have binding...

here is the link:

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail.cgi?pid=13440210

here is the photo:

0210_3.jpg

This is really of no importance (and maybe we're taking these little details way too far), but I mean, people are paying good money for these guitars, so they at least better be sure of what they're getting...

The reason why the top end guitars have fret edge binding is that they are replicas, and the originals they are copying have fret edge binding. Its more expensive (labor intensive) to do and looks "correct".

JD said:
The reason why the top end guitars have fret edge binding is that they are replicas, and the originals they are copying have fret edge binding. Its more expensive (labor intensive) to do and looks "correct".

I'm not really how that helps the ongoing discussion?

I guess my point is that if I paid the going price for an LS-380 I would expect it to have the fret edge binding. Not because of playability as the longer frets are arguably better in that respect, but as part of the whole "replica" detail accuracy.

There were some 320s runs in '05 with no fret edge binding........I can withness that.

Now I'm all confused. I don't care about the binding, and I trust Ishibashi to give the right guitar to me. Does the LS 380 have frett edge binding?

Mark

I can only say for sure that, up to the ls-230 there is no fret edge binding... I'm still not sure about the ls-380, but there is a strong possibility tokai lost that feature on all guitars, like someone here said

TUNAFREAK said:
Now I'm all confused. I don't care about the binding, and I trust Ishibashi to give the right guitar to me. Does the LS 380 have frett edge binding?Mark

Mark, didn't you read my postings in this thread?

togps just one question, your last post said only the Lc-185, Lc-180s and the ls-380 have fret binding...

well one thing is for sure, the Lc-185 and Lc-180s don't... I even posted a picture... I guess it's natural that tunafreak is confused

Ahhh Bruno, sorry, get not aware your pic and your posting about the pic.
Now I understand the confusion.

The pic you showed is a LC85S/LC85 and not a LC180S/LC185 !

no it isn't... it's a LC-185

a guy I know is soon ordering one here in portugal, so I'll probably have the chance to see it... and to speak the truth I am quite interested in one too. I am pretty sure these don't have fret edge binding though.

I'll judge that when I see the guitar... because the two different lc-185 photos that I've seen online so far (not counting the catalog) don't have binding, oh by the way the photo I posted, was a LC-185

cheers

edit: and by the way the one person in portugal that I know sells tokais will be mailling mr. adachi with that very same question

edit2: the 380 that is for sale at digimart also looks funny because it has the bullet trussrod cover, shouldn't it have the trussrod shown in the catalog?

OK, It comes with binding. In a way I'm almost sorry. Thanks Bruno, you are always looking out for me. Thanks Gottfried, people like you make this forum work like no other. This is the most professional forum on the net with loads of good people that don't fight over everything. Now I just have to wait. One thing for sure, It had better be close to perfect or else!

Mark :D

TUNAFREAK said:
.... Thanks Gottfried, people like you make this forum work like no other. This is the most professional forum on the net with loads of good people that don't fight over everything. Now I just have to wait. One thing for sure, It had better be close to perfect or else!

Mark :D

Thanks TUNAFREAK :oops:

yeah I make tunafreak's comments, mine too, even though I do not agree with you on this particular subject... it's guys like you and hans that make this forum such a great source :wink:

Back