Best Tokai ES series Semi-Hollow Body guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallyg

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've saved up my pennies and I'm ready to make the big leap from strats and teles to the ES series Semi-Hollow body. I want to make a purchase that will last a lifetime, not looking to sell, just looking for the best.

In your opinion, what is the best sounding/playing Tokai ES series guitar. And what year/s should I be looking for? Looking for a 335, but Tokai better.

Thanks for your input.

I have only owned one Tokai ES guitar so can't say anything about best. I actually have it for sale here: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19683

The neck profile is just a little smaller than I like. I also have an Orville by Gibson and prefer the slightly thicker neck on that one to the Tokai.

I have heard the early-80s ones are great too if you can find one.

I have most of the ES models in stock.

The ES135 and ES155 are my favourites.
It doesn't get any better than the ES155, it's an amazing guitar.

135 - plain top, back and sides, poly finish.
155 - flamed top, back and sides, nitro finish.

The ES60 is also a very cool guitar, but not in the same league as the made in Japan models.

sallyg said:
Well, I've saved up my pennies and I'm ready to make the big leap from strats and teles to the ES series Semi-Hollow body. I want to make a purchase that will last a lifetime, not looking to sell, just looking for the best.

In your opinion, what is the best sounding/playing Tokai ES series guitar. And what year/s should I be looking for? Looking for a 335, but Tokai better.

Thanks for your input.

Well you'd better save up for a long, long time to get this one. Must have been a special order. ES320

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Japanese-Custom-Shop-ES-320-335-Electric-Guitar-ES320-Japan-MIJ-/290615179386?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43aa03b87a

Regards

Chris

All the modern MIJ ESs seem to sound exceptionally sweet sounding and are wonderfully well made. They differ mostly in parts and electronics - so the bottom of the range MIJ is pretty much the same as the top end in build and sound, after an upgrade of the electronics and hardware.

Although the higher end ones have flame tops (bearing in mind that all 335s, except the special order mentioned above, were always laminate woods. So it's not like they're carved flame maple tops) and the top end model has a Honduras mahogany neck.

Saying that the necks on the recent ones are thinner than the LP necks, which disappointed me a little because I love their LP neck profile and hoped it'd be identical.

ES necks have always been different to LP necks.
They're a little narrower at the nut than an LP, and thinner up to about halfway up the neck, then the neck starts to thicken out and become pretty much like an LP neck.

An LS160 nutwidth is 43mm, the ES135/155 is 42mm.
At the 5th fret the LS160 is 47mm, the ES135/155 is 46mm...so that 1mm width difference remains.

It's only when you're playing the first few frets up to about the 5th fret that you feel the thinness of the neck, then it chunks up and starts feeling like a regular LP neck.

If your looking for an vintage ES,I have a 1981 ES100 I would consider selling,Drop me a pm if interseted.
Sound hole sticker was missing when I purchased it....she's in very good condition with some small nicks and light scratches but overall very nice

tokaies100003.jpg

tokaies100007.jpg

tokaies100005.jpg

tokaies100006.jpg

tokaies100008.jpg

Could a guru please help me and let me know if I've got this right?
A stock 1981 ES-100 had '57 PAF Vintage pickups in it.
These "Patent Applied For - Made By Goto" were made in early to mid 70's. It appears someone replaced the stock pickups for these early version of the Gotohs. These early version Gotohs were common in lots of MIJ guitars in early to mid 70's - Hondo, Greco, Ibanez, etc.

Can any Tokai guitar guru's out there confirm this?

Hello sallyg.

No guru at all but I will try to help you in your request.

Fisrt all, Tokai Gibson accurate(accuratest thanLes Paul at the time to original 50s specs) replicas were released back in 1.978 (inked serials) as documented. "Lower" models have Goto stamped pickups with a gold plate whereas mid-high models have a silver plate. Those pickups have no braided wire but plastic (grey&white) wires. I do like Goto as bridge pickup, are good pickups and I was able to achieve "classic" rock?n?roll sound through a Fender replica amp.They have over 8K resistance. If you check pic above you will notice plate is not as PAF ones, screws are in different position.
In 1.981 Tokai '57 PAFs appeared so a 1.981 should have those. They have a similar to PAF sticker whereas Goto doesn?t.

Greco does not have Goto pickups at all as Ibanez as well, they have Maxon pickups instead (I do like U-2000 pickups i had in a Greco EG-800).

sallyg said:
Could a guru please help me and let me know if I've got this right?
A stock 1981 ES-100 had '57 PAF Vintage pickups in it.
These "Patent Applied For - Made By Goto" were made in early to mid 70's. It appears someone replaced the stock pickups for these early version of the Gotohs. These early version Gotohs were common in lots of MIJ guitars in early to mid 70's - Hondo, Greco, Ibanez, etc.

Can any Tokai guitar guru's out there confirm this?

The 81 ES100 came in two models - ES100J(azz) and ES100R(ock) with the only difference being the pickups. The Rock model had hotter pickups - that was the only difference. It may explain the pickup query...

Without the sticker in the body cavity, hard to say what model this is unless the R marking in the body indicates the R model. I have the 81 J model and I'm curious what the back of my pickups look like.... might help to identify this one. I'll see if I can dig mine out of storage and have a peek.

81 was the first year issue for the ES models by Tokai.... and clearly one of the best. Marvelous guitar Hunter.

I've just bought a 2004 UES-100 SR and would be grateful for any information please.

Such as if J = Jazz & R = Rock what does SR stand for please ?

Many thanks,

Glenn.

Not for your guitar.
Marcus is talking about old ES models (1.981).

OK thanks.

I'm impressed with the 2004 ES-100 so Hunters guitar should be a cracker

I'd still like to know what SR stands for please

Also does anyone know the tuner post hole size & whether Grover 502's will fit please

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back