Bell truss rod covers that fit!! AT LAST!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anung Un Rama said:
marcusnieman said:
Yeah, but the current originals are just plain ugly. Why couln't they stay with the semi bell shape with the pointy ends from the 80's?

Because they prefer to spend more time selecting good woods and finishing better their guitars than cloning every micro-detail from Gibson?

I think that's a bit grandious when talking about a $1 piece of plastic.

marcusnieman said:
I think that's a bit grandious when talking about a $1 piece of plastic.

Not when you know clear what is a Tokai and what is a Gibson. Bell cover won't make my guitar sound better, it's only a detail to make a Tokai be more clone of a Gibson. Then, buy a Gibson. I bought my Tokai for its quality and perfection (better than Gibson), not for being a wannabe.

I'm not about creating a discussion, just showing other point of view. Replacing an original part just to Gibsonize a Tokai is more a psicological replacement than a effective improvement.

It's all very well to say that, but I think you have to face facts - virtually all the guitars we all get so enthusiastic about on here - Love Rocks, SGs, Springys, Goldstars, etc - are accurate copies of Gibsons & Fenders. Tokai's originals designs have never caught on, it's the copies we all love.

Sure, the quality is very good - we all know that! - but they are also authentic replicas of vintage Gibsons & Fenders. Nothing wrong with that, vintage re-issues are big business for Fender & Gibson too. But please lets not kid ourselves that we are dealing with anything other than well made and accurate copies/replicas. A big reason that a Love Rock or a Springy is so good is because the original design was so good.

8)

stratman323 said:
It's all very well to say that, but I think you have to face facts - virtually all the guitars we all get so enthusiastic about on here - Love Rocks, SGs, Springys, Goldstars, etc - are accurate copies of Gibsons & Fenders. Tokai's originals designs have never caught on, it's the copies we all love.

Sure, the quality is very good - we all know that! - but they are also authentic replicas of vintage Gibsons & Fenders. Nothing wrong with that, vintage re-issues are big business for Fender & Gibson too. But please lets not kid ourselves that we are dealing with anything other than well made and accurate copies/replicas. A big reason that a Love Rock or a Springy is so good is because the original design was so good.

8)

Exactly my point.

Mike & Marcus, I totally agree, if 'cosmetics' weren't an issue then why by a LP copy at all there are plenty of original designs that I'm sure SOUND great:

bt120mm_red.jpg

Obiously I choosed Gibson Les Paul shape instead that "thing", but I mean that don't need to have a 100% exactly clone to have an amazing guitar. I don't need to "correct" differences to make my guitar more playable or best sounding. I agree with you that Tokai is a "cloner" but for me is more important the quality of their clone than the accuracy of the replica.
I have the money to buy a Gibson VOS Custom Shop, but if I can choose, I prefer to search for a LS320 or similar. I want quality, not a name in the headstock.

I think many of us are in the same situation as you. I have a very nice Custom Shop Strat (I think Marcus does too), but I often play a Springy or Goldie because they are both very good Strats - and quite authentic replicas too. Tokai is also increasingly becoming a "cool" brand to be seen with, not that that is a big factor for me in deciding which Strat I take to a gig.

However, Marcus' point was that the Tokai TRC is ugly, & I tend to agree with him. Maybe they had to change it for legal reasons, but the Gibbo type does look better, IMHO. Each to their own, however.

8)

GPCarpenter said:
My ES-120 sounds much better since I put a Gibson Historic trc on it. 8)

My LS120 sounds better with aged nickel covers :D

We are all buying these guitars because we like the look of Les Pauls or Strats, and if you can sort out a few little details for $10 then why not!

GPCarpenter said:

The curved edges of the TRC assist in reducing unwanted resonance......

:lol:

JohnA said:
GPCarpenter said:

My LS120 sounds better with aged nickel covers :D

We are all buying these guitars because we like the look of Les Pauls or Strats, and if you can sort out a few little details for $10 then why not!

I recently put a set of RS aged covers on my ES 120, then I aged the tailpiece and bridge myself....they look great.

I've got an '07 LS125F and the Gibson blank truss rod fits perfectly. Man it look so much better than the rocket looking one :s

Latest posts

Back