• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bargain for members in US

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togps

Reaction score
This rare!! brand-new Tokai baby - a '53 Custom order Goldtop - has just been arrived, with a bit damage, (see pic) a customer of mine in US. He don't want it now. I do understand and accept it. I'll refund him. It makes no sense (costs!) to return it to Germany.
So, if someone don't care about this minor issue, I do ask now for the rarity only US $ 900 free shipped within US.

img5562mediumd.jpg

img5559medium.jpg

img5584medium.jpg

stratman323 said:
I can't even see the mark

:eek:

Invisible with a guitar strap on it. Several of my guitars have the same separation of the top coat due to standing it on end too hard on a wood or stone floor - it'll happen with thin gig bags as well.

good grief some people are picky....
thats a great looking guitar, knock off $20 and move on....
:roll:

tc2 said:

I guess that some guys figure if thay pay for a new guitar that they get a new guitar. The good thing is that the new buyer knows about the damage before is arrived. No suprises or disappointments that way. :wink:

skeeterbuck said:
tc2 said:

I guess that some guys figure if thay pay for a new guitar that they get a new guitar. The good thing is that the new buyer knows about the damage before is arrived. No suprises or disappointments that way. :wink:

Considering that these are custom order guitars that aren't readily available, my first call would be to the seller to see if any pricing adjustment would be in order.....it's a blem - not a big gash, chip or dent in the front and it'll be totally hidden under a strap.

marcusnieman said:
skeeterbuck said:
tc2 said:

Considering that these are custom order guitars that aren't readily available, my first call would be to the seller to see if any pricing adjustment would be in order.....it's a blem - not a big gash, chip or dent in the front and it'll be totally hidden under a strap.

It's not a blem, It's a chip in the finish. That's clear from the pic. A blem is from the factory and I doubt that the guitar left Tokai like that. My take anyway.
I understand what you are saying, but not everybody sees it that way.
Would you accept a $20 adjustment in this case?
Also, another thing to consider because it's a custom order, the buyer may have wanted it for a collection. That may explain them not accepting any damage.
Just remember... you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time.

It's not a chip - that's not bare wood you're looking at. It's where the poly coat has separated from the wood from a bump on the strap button but it's still attached. I'm sure at some point it'll flake off from the friction of the strap.

I'd accept a $20 adjust..... I bought mine to play not to resell or lock away. Different motivation for purchase I guess.

Just remember... you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time

I've sold plenty of guitars.....you're preaching to the choir on that one. :wink:

The finish looks to be gone completly down to the bare wood with the fillercoat showing.
That's what I'm seeing and I looking very closely...see :eek:

Were you the original buyer? And i doubt that a collector would be buying custom order guitars......its the early ones and a few limited run ones that are collectable.

Mick

I'm the new owner:) For me the "damage" is no big deal..I could have it drop filled I suppose so it won't "move". I've wanted a wraptail L/P for a long time and the price was resonable to me! I looked at Gibson R4's and I just couldn't justify the price (and I have a Gibson R7, 06 Custom and a Classic ) I have played Tokai's before and thought they were very good and in most ways better than most Gibson non-custom shop guitars by FAR and in some instances as good as some of the R series. As to the damage.. I'm gonna play the crap outta this and it will prob turn green in no time LOL. As for the previous buyer (who I don't know), I'm glad he ordered this , he has good taste! He has his reasons and for him they are valid. Me I'm a happy camper and can't wait to plug this guitar in and play!

Don Rowe

leadguitar_323 said:
Were you the original buyer? And i doubt that a collector would be buying custom order guitars......its the early ones and a few limited run ones that are collectable.

Mick

From what I understand this was a limited run. Even togps in the original posting indicated the rarity of the guitar.

I was just offering possible reasons why the original owner would not want a damaged guitar. I agree that for some that are players in clubs, bars etc., realize that the guitar is going to get some dings and scratches. It's just part of that scene. But others for whatever reason want their guitars perfect and they try to keep them that way.

Let me offer several observations as the the variety of guitar players.

1-Not all Gibson Historic guitars are sold to players. Some are sold to collectors that can't even play guitar.
2- Fender sells relic'd guitars for more money that a new and perfect guitar.
3- Rickenbacker owners for the most part are anal about keeping their guitars looking like new. On their forum many of the post are about shinning their guitars and what polish/cleaners to use.

They are all guitars players/owners enjoying the guitar the way they like. :wink:

I don't have to agree with the others posting here..do I? I really kinda like to have my own opinions. :-?

As a final note, I know for sure that I would have wanted more than $20 off the price unless the guitar was a steal to begin with. :roll:

I just signed up for this forum looking for a goldtop. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I missed it by one day. Man, I would have bought that in a heartbeat.

LUCKY!!!!

Hey dude, i asked you a simple question, no need to get your knickers in a knot. Tokai does limited runs for dozens of shops all round the world, that does not make every guitar in a limited run "collectible". I have a 1 off Tokai gold top, i wouldn't say it is all that collectible {2003 model}but it would be more collectible than that one as mine is all Honduras mahogany and built by one of Tokai's best luthiers. If "limited run" meant it was collectible i could personally order a pile of them myself and i would be sitting on a gold mine......it doesn't quite work like that.
Like i said, the ones to get are the "reborns and "reborn old" and the early 120's and up..... also most of the high end ones will eventually get better money as the market accepts the wonderful workmanship that goes into these guitars and the quality tone and consistency of their build.
I was not trying to discredit you, just simply stating what i know is to be correct.....not the best post for your 4th.

Mick

Nice one Mr.1,998 post..man...we need to play more and type less
<---------------posts in the thousands too :oops:
Skeeter...
Mick was pointing out ,I believe,that without knowing the materials involved in a "limited run" or custom order guitar...the mere fact that it IS a custom order doesn't make it collectible in and of itself.
I've seen Mick's GT and you could see why there'd be a bidding war over it.
Togps?
Got some details of the guitar?
Was it built to R series or VOS specs?

Latest posts

Back