Ball of confusion

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, good to know. Thanks again for all your help. (Oh and I'm in the U.S., not U.K. Is this site based in the U.K.?

Soundhound, this site is based in the U.S. - there's just an inordinant amount of those other guys on it! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I think any MIJ Love Rock (the older the better) will get you in the right direction for achieving the tones of those great players. You may choose to change pickups, but you are starting with great wood as a base to begin with. I can't speak for Burny or Greco, but, within their price range, Tokai made no compromises in the quality of their workmanship.

Yeah, Dickey Betts goldtop tone...sweet, sweet, sweet!

Soundhound ? no the site isn?t based in UK, it?s really Ned?s baby (USA) ? it was just that you mentioned some Tokai?s on UK eBay, & UK prices are so much higher that US (not to mention cost of shipping etc.) I wrongly guessed you were in UK :-? .

Ian.

Site is hosted in the US but the great thing about this site is the World Wide participation.

Thanks for all the info and encouragement, guitar gods. I'll be learning more and more about Tokais as I go along of course, but I'm wondering - where would a mid-nineties LS-80 sit in the heirarchy of Tokai models/quality etc. I've read a few things recently saying LS-80s are entry level models, on a par with an Epi LP? Is that true? That, combined with the fact that some say the older the better, makes me wonder about this one I've ordered.

Maybe I'm worrying too much. All I really wanted to do was get one on a par with the workmanship of a good new LP Standard (like everyone I've played some good and some bad) in quality of workmanship and playability (which can be very subjective I know) and tone (even more subjective). But couldn't spend the dough, so I hoped that by giving up the Gibby name I could get the guitar I wanted at a price I could afford.

Do you guys think I have a shot at that level of guitar with the one I ordered? Just wondering, and I'll know in due time of course. Thanks!

Soundhound said:
I've read a few things recently saying LS-80s are entry level models, on a par with an Epi LP? Is that true?

It's utter bull, quite frankly. They're in the same league as Gibson Standards and easily ahead of, say, the Les Paul Studio.

Personally I don't buy the 'older means better' stuff either, but that's a matter of debate.

Latest posts

Back