Any thoughts on the EB3 style bass?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singemonkey

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but it seemed better than, "Tokai Basses." :-?

I don't yet own a bass, and my first one will definitely be a Fender Jazz style bass. But I'm getting more and more tempted by the Greco copies of the Gibson EB3. I like the idea of this style of bass as an alternative (maybe with a pickup change), and the Grecos are so insanely cheap that it makes it a very practical idea to get one.

I saw one today for 28,000 Yen that looked in very decent condition.

Does anyone have an educated guess as to how these things stack up to the originals?

A. THey are not made with the correct scale
B. The pickups are not humbuckers, they are single coils hidden under a humbucker cover
C. Many of them are made from Nato and not Mahogany
D. I would go for an Orville

Koubayashi said:
B. The pickups are not humbuckers, they are single coils hidden under a humbucker cover

Or maybe an Epiphone Japan? What are they like?

What's the correct scale? The EB was a short scale bass wasn't it?

JVsearch said:
Koubayashi said:

Never tried an Epi Jap EBIII.

The correct scale is 30" but the Grecos are 32-33".
So the whole idea of an EBIII is pretty much gone there.

Koubayashi said:
JVsearch said:
Koubayashi said:

Never tried an Epi Jap EBIII.

The correct scale is 30" but the Grecos are 32-33".
So the whole idea of an EBIII is pretty much gone there.

Ah... ok, yes you're right - they're not actually EB-3s if the scale is wrong.
Some look pretty short though (looks can be deceiving), are you sure all of them are the wrong scale?

I have had about 10 and all of them (set necks) were 33"
But obviously there might be 3" as well.

Every Orville EB I had were 30". But, a real Gibson is cheaper and both pickups are real humbuckers. The Orvilles have one real and one single.

I believe that the 1960's Gibson EB-0, EB-3, etc - after they went to the solid body, SG-style, not the earlier, semi-hollow body bass - were available in both long (normal) scale and short scale. I don't recall if they eventually went to only short scale, that's been a few years. I do know that a lot more short scale than long scale were sold and used.

All the original, earlier EB-3's had the chicken-head, multi-position tone switch with choke/inductor. Most of the EB-3 look-alikes have standard p/up wiring and a 3 position selector switch.

Mick51 said:
I believe that the 1960's Gibson EB-0, EB-3, etc - after they went to the solid body, SG-style, not the earlier, semi-hollow body bass - were available in both long (normal) scale and short scale. I don't recall if they eventually went to only short scale, that's been a few years. I do know that a lot more short scale than long scale were sold and used.

All the original, earlier EB-3's had the chicken-head, multi-position tone switch with choke/inductor. Most of the EB-3 look-alikes have standard p/up wiring and a 3 position selector switch.

I have never seen a long scale Gibson EBIII.

But that should be possible to find out.
Anyone here member on www.talkbass.com?

Update: a new Gibson for about 700? from Thomann.
Absolutely a better buy than any Japanese EBIII copy I tried.

singemonkey said:
Yeah. The SG standard basses look rather nice. And second hand they're really not too expensive.

One day.

No matter what the consensus here might be, just go for a Gibson.
As it is, you can pickup a Gibson for 4-500? so there is no need to pay more for a Japanese copy that doesn't deliver as much.

Latest posts

Back