Any of you guys lived happily ever after with the PAF MKIIs?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pages plexitone

Reaction score
When I got back from Japan I, understandibly I hope, couldn't wait to plug my new LS-135 into a Marshall (JCM800 2203) and let her rip. I liked the clarity of the stock pup, but I noticed that the bridge would squeal at volume.
Well, I had a Gibbie 57 classic handy and put that in. I noticed that it would go a bit louder before feeding back but not as much as I thought (I must have been juicing it a bit more than I realized! :D ) The 57 sounded smoother, more middy, well, different.
I wonder if maybe I was a bit hasty in my judgement. Anybody kept theirs in, played loud live shows and lived happily ever after?

Are the MKII's wax potted? If they're not then I think that could be the reason for the squealing. Unfortunately I don't own a Tokai so I can't attest to personally trying those pickups. Soon though...(either that or an Edwards). :lol:

I will keep my Tokai LS70-F, with PAF MKII, Gotoh, stock as they, to my ear is just what I want.
Have A/B tested against a G...n Lp Studio
I like mine better, I will howerver pot the pups as they will squeal at louder volumes, not that I ever get to play that loud! but I will pot them at the next string change
Here's a link on how to do it

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/index.php

Have fun and make sure you read ALL the SAFETY instructions!!!

My LS120 has MKIIs...as opposed to Dimarzio or Duncans and I play loud enough at gigs that the drummer bitches for me to turn down :p
They work great for me...controlable feedback when ever I need it...NOT uncontrolled squealing....they don't sound out of place against my Dimarzio equipped V.

Kept the MKII PAFs in my LC80. With my Gibson LP Classic, I had to change the pups for Fralin PAF replicas, but the MKIIs are just fine in my Tokai :D

Thanks for the input fellas. I bet I was so jazzed, especially with not having played through an amp for a week that I was goosing it a bit too much, and standing pretty close etc.
I didn't care for the 490(?) that came stock in my Gibson standard so I went to the SD AlnicoIIs (plus I can split the coils etc) and they are cool but very different sounding than the 57 classics. My brief audition of the MKII PAFs left me thinking they were somewhere in between the two...I definately didn't listen to them long enough....

Cool link on wax potting BTW :D

So far so good on the LS135 BTW. I have an R6 gibbie and that neck is really big, I have a 98 gibbie standard and that's mostly what's called now a 60s neck and the LS135 is like baby bear's bed....just right! :D I giged it last saturday as my only humbuckered guitar (how's that for confidence!) and I'll include it as part of the guitarsenal at this saturday's show... It's all good.

I giged it last saturday as my only humbuckered guitar (how's that for confidence!) and I'll include it as part of the guitarsenal at this saturday's show... It's all good.

Well my LS70-F never leaves my side at a gig!
My G....n Lp Jr is left at home, I know cruel but........
My Other axe is a MIJ Fender Strat 57 RI, I must admit she's been left at home for the Jr at times

No one in the crowd would know the difference between a Gibby or a Tokai, only guitar players!!
Normal audience will not pick at minute differences in sound, as we guitar player does LOL, IT"S A FREAKING CURSE!!!, but as I see it, if I'm not happy with the sound , I don't play as well!!!
Keep playing that beast mate

hawkeye2u said:
I giged it last saturday as my only humbuckered guitar (how's that for confidence!) and I'll include it as part of the guitarsenal at this saturday's show... It's all good.

Well my LS70-F never leaves my side at a gig!
My G....n Lp Jr is left at home, I know cruel but........
My Other axe is a MIJ Fender Strat 57 RI, I must admit she's been left at home for the Jr at times

No one in the crowd would know the difference between a Gibby or a Tokai, only guitar players!!
Normal audience will not pick at minute differences in sound, as we guitar player does LOL, IT"S A FREAKING CURSE!!!, but as I see it, if I'm not happy with the sound , I don't play as well!!!
Keep playing that beast mate

I have her strung up for tomorrow! You're right, there are no more superstious, hypersensitive, climb-up-the-wall-over-minutae than guitar players.... :D Sometimes I may be the worst offender....(I don't like the sound this pick gives!)
I have an old Tokai bolt-on neck Love Rock. My daughter got back from New York today and she can play with me tomorrow night, my boy will play drums on one song with us too....(it's a small town celebration thing) so we'll be double Tokai'd at some point!

Latest posts

Back