any advise to avoid string oxidation?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganzua

Reaction score
Hi!

In the place where I live, in summer, the whether is quite hot and there is a lof of humidity in the air because I'm close to the sea. Whenever I play the guitar the strings become sticky and even though I dry one by one all the strings after playing they start to oxidate in a couple of days.

Is there anyway to avoid oxidation?

It won't hurt fingerboard.

Have you tried coated strings?
I use Elixirs, excellent choice if you like the sound of new strings and they last long!

joukov said:
It won't hurt fingerboard.

is it a chemical product?

joukov said:
Have you tried coated strings?
I use Elixirs, excellent choice if you like the sound of new strings and they last long!

In my local shop there are d'addario's and ghs and that's all :D
What a coated string is? do you mean a nickeled string or similar?

Educate yourself!
:D

ghs Fast-Fret:

- contains white mineral oil
- contains no silicone
- non-toxic
picture:
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw3_ghs_fast_fret_prodinfo.html

coated strings:
http://www.elixirstrings.com/

joukov said:
Educate yourself!
:D

ghs Fast-Fret:

- contains white mineral oil
- contains no silicone
- non-toxic
picture:
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw3_ghs_fast_fret_prodinfo.html

coated strings:
http://www.elixirstrings.com/

Hey, thanks for the education!

did you try the ghs fast fret? I'm tempted

Yep, tried it with my strat with older strings. Actually it makes everything quite slippery, neck + maple fingerboard. Your hands won't get stuck. Some like it, some don't.

btw, this thread doesn't belong to this section. :eek:

ganzua said:
Paladin2019 said:
tried Fast Fret?

No, I didn't. Will it hurt the fingerboard?

It actually *protects* the fingerboard. I've been using it for years, it vastly increases string life especially if you use it before they get rusty.

It also makes them feel a bit slippery, which I love but some people hate. Give it a try, it doesn't cost much.

Over time it may build up to a layer of dirt on your fretboard but it's nothing that routine cleaning won't handle.

Is there anyway to avoid oxidation?

Change your strings - why scrimp on a $2.99 purchase?

I have the same problem here in Texas but if you play alot and sweat alot, the strings will degrade quickly and they'll become dull tonally as well.

I wipe down my strings and fret board after each session with a soft cotton cloth to remove what I can and to dry them - it works pretty good judging from what I see on the cloth afterwards. I can't see adding something else to the mix that I'm trying to remove.

Hi!
I use Fast Fret all the time. And it makes your strings live a much longer time! (depends on intensity of playing - while playing live-gigs, I give? em about 3-4hours) For home use it is a really good way to protect your strings. In my store I had a SG running for 12 months with the same strings, and still sounding good! I did that just for testing, and to show the customers what is possible!
good on ya: "ACY"

P.S.: After playing first clean your strings with a cloth, and then apply Fast Fret! Before playing just to your taste.

Thanks! joukov, Paladin2019, marcusnieman and ACY;

Decided, I'm going to try to get ghs fast fret. Actually, last Saturday I hurt my finger while sliding over a sticky string. :-?

Change your strings - why scrimp on a $2.99 purchase?

Because in my town a set of d'addarios is 6? :D , I'm not going to change strings every week.

I wipe down my strings and fret board after each session with a soft cotton cloth to remove what I can and to dry them

I do the same but here in summer it's not enogh, in two days strings start to oxidate.

P.S.: After playing first clean your strings with a cloth, and then apply Fast Fret! Before playing just to your taste.

Ok, thanks! :wink:

I would try a set of coated Elixir strings - they're expensive, but you can see if they'll make a difference. Also, make sure you keep your guitar in a closed/sealed guitar case when not playing.

Purchasing strings in bulk on ebay would be a good alternative to the problem especially if you play a lot. Coatings and sprays wont help tone and certainly wont stop them from breaking.

Hey!

I've got a bottle of ghs fast fret with me, 7.9? in my local shop, does it last long?

Do you apply it befor playing as well?

Hi!
Just have a try before playing, what you like better! I use it also before playing! The first Fast Fret I had, worked fine for about 1,5 year! Always close the box after use!
good on ya, "ACY"

ACY said:
Hi!
Just have a try before playing, what you like better! I use it also before playing! The first Fast Fret I had, worked fine for about 1,5 year! Always close the box after use!
good on ya, "ACY"

Ok, thanks! :wink:

Latest posts

Back