Amazing '59 replica build on TDPRI

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanC

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you guys have been following this. Gil Yaron (preeb) is a luthier in Israel, and renowned for his Fender replicas. He's decided to take on a '59 build with no detail overlooked.

The highlights:
??He has cast his own M69 rings
? Handmade all plastic parts
? Had vintage '59 tailpiece studs analyzed for alloy mix and commissioned his own exacting copies
? Had vintage '59 Kluson ferrules recreated to precise tolerances
??Oh yeah, he winds his own PAF clones as well!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you have a few hours to kill, this thread will not disappoint:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/194271-1959-les-paul-build.html

Cheers,
Ryan

nice thread there; thanks for sharing that 8)

I really like the way preeb thinks about lumber; quarter sawn necks, light weight bodies, and his maple billets are mostly all flat sawn.
I have previously expressed those very same ideas here for LPs, and for what really counts, me & preeb agree completely 8)

the only items that preeb & I differ on is the fingerboard lumber, which he prefers quarter sawn, which is not needed, or required; I prefer rift to flat sawn for ?boards.
A flat sawn fingerboard can really demonstrate the asthetics of the lumber, just like the flat sawn Brazilian 'board on my LS-320 :)

EDIT: I see where the final weight is 8.7 lb. 8) , which is pretty close to where I prefer a Lester's weight.
It would be very interesting to see what it weighs on a digital scale :)

"8.7 Lbs at birth (on my bathroom scale). Very comfy.
It will probably lose a little more weight during the next year or so."

THAT, is fantastic!

For second I considered killing myself because compared to that guy... then I figured he's probably a manic depressive who is 97% manic!

His skills just seem outrageously great to me, and most impressive. Thanks for posting it up, I'm enjoying it a lot (so far, I'm only 10 pages in). :D

Can't see it through the firewall at work!! Apparently I should be working :roll: Sounds like a good read, I'll get on to it later!

One thing I would do in a different way - If I had that equipment and knowledge and a 59 burst to copy - I would not chamber the body

Wow!

When I read through all the steps he used to make the guitar, I was thinking, "hey, maybe I could do that if I bought a bunch of tools!" But it would never turn out so great and perfect like that - amazing work. I wonder how much he asks for such a guitar?

t.olsen said:
One thing I would do in a different way - If I had that equipment and knowledge and a 59 burst to copy - I would not chamber the body

Well you might want to re-read some posts again, because he is going to make a whole run of exact 59 bursts using his light mahaogany. He has chambered bodies on some guitars if the mahogany bodies are too heavy, and also because he likes chambered LPs personally, in fact he believes they are better than solid bodies!

JVsearch said:
Well you might want to re-read some posts again, because he is going to make a whole run of exact 59 bursts using his light mahaogany. He has chambered bodies on some guitars if the mahogany bodies are too heavy, and also because he likes chambered LPs personally, in fact he believes they are better than solid bodies!

Yes I know,it was only my opinion and it was hart to understand that he has already that fantastic old lighter wood and still wants to chamber it or drill a bunch of holes in it.But if he prefers chambered bodys,why not.It 's only a little strange to rebuild a 59 after the exact specifications and don't care about this really important point.Anyway,he's a fantastic luthier.

t.olsen said:
Yes I know,it was only my opinion and it was hart to understand that he has already that fantastic old lighter wood and still wants to chamber it or drill a bunch of holes in it.But if he prefers chambered bodys,why not.It 's only a little strange to rebuild a 59 after the exact specifications and don't care about this really important point.Anyway,he's a fantastic luthier.

I think the first guitar is just a prototype to test if everything works. No need to waste the best wood on a "prototype", even though the result is amazing!

If this is the prototype,I would not see the masterpiece :lol:
We should keep an eye on this guy,even if for me such a replica is so far away as a 59.Some soundfiles would be nice

t.olsen said:
We should keep an eye on this guy,even if for me such a replica is so far away as a 59.Some soundfiles would be nice

I'm not going to read through it all again to check, but I thought he said he was going to make a chambered one as well as a couple of "authentic" '59 replicas?

Mike

stratman323 said:
I'm not going to read through it all again to check, but I thought he said he was going to make a chambered one as well as a couple of "authentic" '59 replicas?

Mike

Yes, I think he did say that. Although the prototype is simply weight relieved by drilling out holes, rather than the fancy chamber pattern.

He clearly knows a thing or two about guitars, & if he says that there are real advantages to a chambered LP, I suspect he may have a point. :wink:

When I see his work and the result I have no doubts that he knows much more about it than I will ever know.Let's wait to see what he will build next

t.olsen said:

I hear that! :D

And yes, this is definitely the proto, just to make sure all his jigs work properly.

Latest posts

Back