About AST-50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredfreak

Reaction score
I would like to know few things about Tokai AST-50. How close is it to real Fender Strat like classic '60 Strat or classic '50 Strat? I like Fenders a lot but Tokais seem to be much cheaper. Is it Korean made or Japanese? I own AST-33 which is Korean made and I have to say that it's really different from Fender Strats. I think I once played somekind of ST-50 model which played like Fender but I don't know about AST-50.

I'm interested in this model.
http://www.musamaailma.fi/bandikamat/tuotteet/155/161/ast_50_wg.phtml

Translation:

# TOKAI
# Electric guitar
# SRV Tradition Guitar
# Alder body
# SRV maple neck
# Rosewood fretboard Jumbo frets
# S.Duncan Custom vibrato system
# Finish: Golden Sunburst, Yellow Sunburst

Thank you!

Hi, the AST-50 is made in Japan, I have one myself and it's excellent. The body is alder and mine has a one piece maple neck (v-shape). The fingerboard radius is 7,25" like the vintage strats. The tuners are Kluson type. The tone and sustain is excellent. The only thing I don't like is the pickup switch, it's of the same type Ibanez uses (YM-50) but it's easy to replace.

Mike

Thanks Javelin! Sounds like a good guitar, local Tokai dealer probably has few so I should go there and try it some time. It's nice to know that it's made in Japan since I've always thought that Japanese guitars are pretty much as good as USA made guitars. 7,25" radius is also a good thing.

By the way... is that more or less the same thing as an AST50 from the late 80s early 90s?

math2014 said:
By the way... is that more or less the same thing as an AST50 from the late 80s early 90s?

I would say yes, except for some details. The neck has a slightly yellow vintage tint which is nice. The switch is of lower quality, the pickups are staggered alnico but I don't know the manufacturer. The woodwork and paint is as good as on the earlier Goldstars, the paint finish is not thick as on many guitars today, the alder grain is clearly visible on mine. The are no stamps like "Final Prospec" on the bridge saddles and no "Deluxe" on the tuners, the quality of the hw is good however. Mine is lightweight, the weight is approximately 3kg's and the tone and sustain is excellent. One minor issue with mine is that some of the fret ends are slightly sharp (not much at all).

This is my 2002 AST-50:

ast-50.jpg

Considering that the price today is the same as in the 80's (AST-50 = 50000 Yen) I'm amazed that the quality is so high.

Mike

Back