A SHAME! BROKEN HEADSTOCK LES PAUL REBORN, RISKY OR WHAT?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whats the link to this guitar. if you can repair it your self then buy it.you will spend not less than $500 if youll take it to a luthier. i used to buy grecos and tokais with broken headstock for $100 dollars in the philippines. I repair them my self...Ill buy this guitar if priced right..

duff said:
t.olsen said:
From wikipedia :
Slashs main live guitar is a 1987 Les Paul Standard with three piece top (Factory Second). It has a cracked neck in two places, but he has had it repaired and continues to use it.

and said it sounded even beter after the repair..

Never mind his guitar ??wouldn't Slash sound better with a broken neck? :wink:

BlueThird said:

Slash will have to join the queue behind Gary Moore.

:wink:

THE RISING FORCE said:
If you have grecos or tokais with broken HS. Ill be willing to buy it if the price is right..Ill do the repairs my self...just pm me.

Me too

You don't need to put dowels to fix such a nice break.
Just use the right glue: Titebond 3, and the neck will be stronger than before, without any loss of sustain.

OH well,just thought i would let you know that i lost the auction for this reborn by 500 yen or 4.00 pounds :-?
Put a bid in of 41000yen this morning before i went to work ,with a hour to go till the end,I had made up my mind last night that if it was still below 45000 with a hour left,i would have a bid.Had no access to a computer during the last hour.
Got home and checked if i won it,no just wrong time and place ,exciting stuff though :-? Went for 41500 yen
DID anybody on this forum get it?
I would love to see it after the repair and some pics,thanks very much?

ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND GUITARS:

MOJO HOBO

Sorry you missed out on what may have been a cool Reborn project, and maybe a great guitar, but... it could also have been a problem break as well. To me it looked like someone had tried to glue it already.

villager said:
that particular guitar was deemed not worth repairing..

What about putting another neck on it? A luthier I know can do the job so there must be others, and he also has stocks of old wood and braz. When I get some cash I'll talk to him about a burst clone. When he saw my Historic he offered to put a new fret board on it :lol:

Cheers for your interest and comments JVsearch,still a little bit annoyed i lost by such a small amount and had no way to up my bid,i would had gone to 45000yen and no more.
The guitar VILLAGER said was not worth repairing was another guitar,not this tokai reborn but a guitar he sold to T.olsen .

I really do not know what i would have done to it if i won the auction,send it to the best neck break luthier in the u.k who ever that might be?,a new neck would be another opition yes.whichever the best ,as recommended.
I have a few projects pending already JV,that tokai would had made it my
third if i had got it :cry:
mojo hobo

BlueThird said:
duff said:
t.olsen said:
From wikipedia :
Slashs main live guitar is a 1987 Les Paul Standard with three piece top (Factory Second). It has a cracked neck in two places, but he has had it repaired and continues to use it.

and said it sounded even beter after the repair..

Slash is a wanker. :oops:

slashguitars.jpg

I believe in the theory of bidding what the item is worth, to me, and then I am more likely to have the winning bid at the end, instead of feeling like I'm a bit cheap and losing out :wink: ................

at least then if I still lose, I can't beat myself up for being a cheapskate 8)

I see this all the time in the guitar world; too many folks are just too cheap to pay for what they want, and then they whine about it when it's too late :p ...............

Yeah I agree with you MIJVINTAGE,
Believe me if that guitar did not have a headstock break,It would be on its way to me next week,no doubt at all :lol:
I put in a low bid because thats what i thought the guitar was worth,it was a cheeky half -hearted hopeful bid because i thought there was a lot of interest in it going by the number of bids,i thought it would go for around 50000yen which is too much for me,because of the extras i have to pay on top of the auction win price.shipping and vat & duty @20% to add,then the headstock repair on top of that :cry: so really it was like betting a 50-1 outsider in a horse race.if it came in happy days,on this occasion second.
If it was an ls80 then in my opinion it should be worth about 100k yen to 150k yen,so yes if a neck break or a headstock break knocks off 40-50% off value ,maybe i should have gone to around 50k yen,do you agree?

Fuzzy logic,i still have a lot to learn because i am a noob in the MIJ vintage guitar market,I will learn slowly and will make a lot off mistakes and bad cheapskate bids.but i do not mind losing.

mojo hobo

neck break non fixed knocks off 50% of the value depending on the guitar, the break, and the buyers at the time, after fixing it knocks off between nothing and 30% again depending on the above factors..

that was a nice rare, quality guitar with a reparable break and would make a great player, the overall condition was superb too,

thats why it went high, I think.

I never saw the listing so, I don't know if it was a Les Paul Reborn, a Reborn Old, a Love Rock, what model #, if it was (except for the break) in original condition or not, etc.
that's a ton of unknowns to assess & to assign a value ................

I have never purchased a guitar with a compromised head stock, and fortunately have never had to experience one to break, that I own :D

I know instruments can be repaired from major damage but usually once repaired, the instrument will have a different character & playability, and usually not for the better.

Some times just non injuring bumps & bruises can leave an instrument short of where it used to be, and short on what it used to deliver.
Once, a favorite vintage Strat owned by Eric Johnson was dropped, and Eric reported that it never sounded the same afterwards.
There was no real damage to be found but still, something wasn't right about it after it, "hit the floor."

Some times guitars are like old horses; they need to be set out to pasture ???????

Cheers VILLAGER for your input ,much appreciated,now i wish i had the won the auction :lol:
If i only had access to a computer in the last 15 minutes i would had got that reborn ls 80,it was a ls80 ,please do not say it was ls 100 :eek:

MIJVINTAGE eric johnson is the howard hughes of the guitar world,a little to much of the OCD gene in his blood,that is a prime example!

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
MIJVINTAGE eric johnson is the howard hughes of the guitar world,a little to much of the OCD gene in his blood,that is a prime example!

MOJO HOBO

well of course he is :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyYA7_a0DJs&feature=PlayList&p=96C29D33A2634891&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41
Eric is from another planet, no, another universe ............ have you ever seen an EJ live performance :eek: ..................

Latest posts

Back