86-87 Goldstar 5 way switch replacement

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barks67

Reaction score
Hi all,

The original 5 switch on my 86-87 Goldstar seized last night on a gig.
I have managed to get it going again but it is now very stiff - so I think it's time may be up.

Who manufactured this switch and are they still available?

If possible I'd like to get a similar one- this feels like a three way but with a slight catch on position 2 and 4, but always biased to 1,3 and 5.

Thanks

Barks

Barks67 said:
If possible I'd like to get a similar one- this feels like a three way but with a slight catch on position 2 and 4, but always biased to 1,3 and 5.

Thanks

Barks

Best 5 way switches ever made - with the subtle 2 and 4 positions. None like them anywhere....

marcusnieman said:
Barks67 said:

Thanks

Barks

Best 5 way switches ever made - with the subtle 2 and 4 positions. None like them anywhere....

drat...

Could I suggest something like this - I have found this type of product works well with crackly or stiff switches.

http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Spray-Lubricant-Cleaners-electrical/dp/B004H31DBQ

Hi Barks67,

The good folks at www.stewmac.com have all replacement parts for Japanese and American guitars.

I have used these guys a number of times, they send a free catalogue and the pricing and freight is quite reasonable. They also DIY tips from famous luthiers such as Dan Erlewine.

Try the lube first, but grab a Stewart-MacDonald catalogue also. It's free.

regards
Peter Mac

Thanks for the link Peter.

As mentioned I did get the switch working again - it's cool to actually have a part that can be easily dismantled and reassembled.
A bit of penetration oil released it to a useable state but the problem is wear on the pressed bearing type assembly of the unit that cannot be disassembled.
I think it has worn in an elliptical way and thus I feel it will jam again in time. I have used this guitar aggressively for the last 26 years so I think it's time is coming.
Just hoped I could get a direct replacement!

Back