80s Goldstar in Germany with NITRO original finish

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossi

Reaction score
:eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Goldstar-Sound-80ies-Nitro-54er-Vintage-Replika_W0QQitemZ170248651202QQihZ007QQcategoryZ46645QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, if what he says is correct, it must be one of the very rare Goldstar ST80s? Can anyone confirm that? It certainly looks like an ash body, but I thought all Goldies were alder?

Mike

It's hard to tell from the photos but I'm almost certain I can see 2 seams (hard to tell as photos are small), which would mean a 3-piece body. That would put it in TST-50 territory, as beautiful as the finish looks.
________
Jailbroken

He has some more pictures here and i belive its a ST60 with a 2piece body.
But anyway that is a expensiv goldie,if its a 50 or 60.
http://flickr.com/photos/naduda/sets/72157606597740787/

Volker

It would be useful to know what pickups are in this. I can't read German, but I don't see any reference to Tokai's pickup stamps in the description. This isn't a 1954 model either--that would be a 4-digit serial. I think this is a late 50s copy--1958? The finish on these is often so nice I could understand why someone might assume they are nitrocellulose--unless the seller has done a test with acetone, I would take that statement with a grain of salt.

Tokai 2-piece bodies are usually centre-seamed; there is clearly a seam in the top half, and most likely another one at the bottom (the grain looks like it crosses in the lower half)--again still hard to tell with the flickr photos. Definitely no centre seam. In the catalogues there is one 1958 model listed as a TST-50, which is what my guess for this is.

I'm wondering about the sen body too--could it be a transitional Goldstar with a Springy ash body, or were there custom options available on these? I suppose it could even be a Springy, with a Goldstar neck added later. Again, without knowing what the pickups are it's hard to know for sure.

Another interesting thing to notice, in the catalogues the TST-80 1960 model (bottom description, top photo #7) has a U-shaped neck (not V!!--as the copied model would have had presumably) and VS-1 (E stamp) pickups. I wonder about the finish material--when did Fender switch to polyeurathane, and did Tokai copy that too on later model years? Are there a bunch of TST-80s (and ST-80s??) 1960s models being mis-identified because they don't have V-necks and have poly finishes? Just wondering....

tokai86_2.jpg

tokai86_3.jpg

________
DRUGTEST

cheshirecatsmile said:
Another interesting thing to notice, in the catalogues the TST-80 1960 model (bottom description, top photo #7) has a U-shaped neck (not V!!--as the copied model would have had presumably) and VS-1 (E stamp) pickups. I wonder about the finish material--when did Fender switch to polyeurathane, and did Tokai copy that too on later model years? Are there a bunch of TST-80s (and ST-80s??) 1960s models being mis-identified because they don't have V-necks and have poly finishes? Just wondering....

Fender switched to poly around 1967, the year after they adopted the larger headstock, but just before the black decal replaced the transition decal. And a few years before they introduced the bullet truss rod adjuster and 3 bolt neck.

TST-80 1960 model? All the Tokai RW board Strats I have ever seen have been 1964 copies, with the thin cap board, not the slab boards used in 1960. And Fender didn't make V profile rosewood board necks at all - V necks were a feature around 1957, IIRC.

Mike

Just thinking out loud about nitro/poly. My Silver Star-80s are both nitro finish (acetone test in tremelo pocket) and they're a 1970s model, so that ruins my own theory. Still, interesting about the U neck shape listed here.
________
Girlfriend pic

stratman323 said:
I understood all Goldies were alder.

Found this in the catalogsection.Look for the AST'62,witch have a ashbody. :eek:
From my understanding the AST(TST)'57/'62 serie have the same specs as a ST60,maybe they made some with ashbodys.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai_85-86_electric_p3.jpg

Volker

Well they are later models, so things must have changed by then. Strange that they used ash on the 62 model, but alder on the 56 model, even though ash was more common on 50s Strats, but rare on 60s Strats. Yet they got the V profile neck the right way round - on the 56 model.

But on 84/85 Goldstars, the maple ones have a chunkier U shaped neck, while the RW board models have a slimmer C shaped neck.

Confusing isn't it?

:-?

Hi guys, with some of the forum members referring to their guitars as "she" its no wonder they are hard to work out....... :p 26 years and i still haven't worked mine out... :eek:

Mick

hi,
i recently bought a goldie from Japan and i'm pretty sure that's a tst-80, '60 model!

It still has the "80" paper sticker on the back of the neck,"L" series.
2 pieces center seam alder body, slab board rosewood, D-shaped neck (i suppose this is the Tokai '60 U shape).

Pick-up aren't "E", but appears to be original; they have a black bottom and staggered pole pieces, like the original fender 1960 strat.
They have little orangy-yellow rubber "pickup cushions" under the scratchplate.
Pickguard seems to be celluloid (some cracked at the pickup location).

I also have a '82 PB-80, and i think they have the same laquered finishes.

the Bad point is that the last owner scratched the front of the sunburst body to make a new paint, and did an awful job. I will do a new paint in the future.

That's really a great strat, and it sounds better than the Goldie St-55 with VII pickup I owned before this! Pickup are well balanced and not harsh like on my St-55.(it had a mapple neck)

I'll try to make some pictures this week end!

A slab board Goldie? Pics please! 8)

The pickups don't sound right for an ST80 though, so pics of those as well please. I thought all ST80s had E pickups?

settebello said:
There was a black one from chingo a few weeks ago.It has also a 80 sticker and a slabboard.I think it have had U's.

Volker
If st60s had the more expensive Es ,why should an st 80 be fitted with Us?Something is not right here.Gabe.

Latest posts

Back