" 2023 TOKAI FORUM COOL GUITAR CONTEST! "

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, mine does..... a white inky stamp, 5 digits if I recall in the old vintage format - leading number is an 8 followed by a space and four additional numbers - kind of like the Mint Collection stamps. I'm actually out of town and don't have it in front of me.

marcusnieman said:
No, mine does..... a white inky stamp, 5 digits if I recall in the old vintage format - leading number is an 8 followed by a space and four additional numbers - kind of like the Mint Collection stamps. I'm actually out of town and don't have it in front of me.

I would expect them to have a serial number, and not that i'm overly familiar with that model... i would expect it to be all black. Nice score.

Honestly, I'd expected them to be all black too but it appears that I got an anomaly?
From the years I've been looking for this Greco, they appear to be pretty rare.

Here's the listing link of my purchase from Japan (I stole it at this price!). Scroll to the bottom for pics - thought there was one of the backside and serial number... https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=223818662902&view=all&tid=2348295263012

Ebay server is down so i can't compare . There is one on the Rinkya right now, it is from '88 and is black/white guard but has white edging and black neck. Perhaps different years got a different layout. Or Perhaps different model numbers ? Pretty cool guitars none the less.

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-c778988342?dollar=part

uhWIkv1.jpg

I'm not sure how you define cool?
Is cool the guitar with the best tone?
Or most unique/rare?
Or interesting design features?
Or best photos?
Past or currently owned?
And is it just Tokai or are other brands welcome?

Sigmania said:
I'm not sure how you define cool?
Is cool the guitar with the best tone?
Or most unique/rare?
Or interesting design features?
Or best photos?
Past or currently owned?
And is it just Tokai or are other brands welcome?

OP states, "everybody and any guitar is welcome" :D

Thanks. Still not sure what "cool" means, but I like the nerdy "guitar freak" stuff that Tokai did in the early 80s with its "Rare" models where they copied rare vintage Fender & Gibson guitars.

One is the ST70 with two fret board options. One had a maple veneer board over a maple neck (no skunk stripe), and the ST70R with the slab rosewood board on a maple neck.

Here is my 1981 ST70R MG with the slab board.

"D" stamp which may mean demo.

13UAZ19.jpg

Hand painted model number.

mQEv0gE.jpg

Pick guard replaced before I got it with tortoise shell, I went to mint green.

AAPlfJU.jpg

Another one is the 1981 LS100S. The Joe Walsh (red) "Rare" model is all one piece.

I have a slightly different version that is natural color (ON) and is a one piece top over one piece back. It doesn't have spectacular grain, but it's a straight up tone machine. My number 1 player.

BSU0sSN.jpg

I also love the soft "V" flame neck on my 1979 ST100GS. Apparently what makes an ST100 is the flamed neck, not the gold hardware. Mine has nickel hardware and is absolutely all original with all the paperwork and matching codes.

5xudkF3.jpg

RJVn9l0.jpg

cMGiiL7.jpg

Kipx14Q.jpg

My 1981 ST80R MR has a super slippery board and a soft "V" neck as well. It seems there were some ST80s with a soft V, and this seems to be one of them. In amazing condition as well.'

h8bVKq5.jpg

1981 Arabesque TE120 with one piece sen ash body and cashew finish.

5pu7k2l.jpg

And as for overall unique design, I would say my FujiGen built 1981 Ibanez MC550 with koa top and back, 7 ply maple/walnut lam thru neck construction, ebony board and 24 frets. Electronics feature a 3 band EQ, master tone, and coil splitting/phase control (tri sound).

dIPFmH2.jpg

d3SW0dZ.jpg

utR6z8g.jpg

All that said, it’s hard to beat a straight up Les Paul or Strat design, and Tokai has made some great ones in all the model ranges, not just the fancy looking ones.

Sigmania said:
Thanks. Still not sure what "cool" means, but I like the nerdy "guitar freak" stuff that Tokai did in the early 80s with its "Rare" models where they copied rare vintage Fender & Gibson guitars.

All that said, it’s hard to beat a straight up Les Paul or Strat design, and Tokai has made some great ones in all the model ranges, not just the fancy looking ones.

Those are all 'cool' guitars in my book 8)
Love that Koa top on the Ibanez :D

It is hard to beat a Les Paul & a Strat design but the great thing about guitars is they are all over the map, and can offer something different to any player's taste.
One of my most recent go to guitars is a Les Paul Special type, originally set-up with a Bigsby.
I dropped the Bigsby, and installed a short trapeze tailpiece, just as a stand-in until I get the guitar set-up with a (traditional) wrap tail.
The guitar isn't much to look at but it has the most unique, and phenomenal sound. I'm confident the short trapeze tail piece is a large piece of that magic sonic signature.
It's also nice to not have any binding on the body, like a LP Custom, or a LP Standard. The rounded over body edges of the LP Special are super comfortable.
This LP Special has to be one of my 'cool' guitars.

Played my Deviser produced Explorer yesterday, which I rarely play. What a fantastic beast. A very 'cool' fiddle indeed. :D

Back