2004 LS-200

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyFriendly

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently aquired this - she has the stock Mk2 pickups, I think a one piece back (?), a really awesome flamed maple cap, a medium tenon (I think?) and peculiarly an ebony fretboard. Last night was the first time I've really had to bond with her, and I am really enjoying playing her and I think she is super smashing looking so I just thought I'd show her off/see what you think...

ps yes, I am crap at taking photos.

100_2841.jpg

100_2836.jpg

100_2843.jpg

100_2833.jpg

Beautiful guitar.

One piece body, deep (long) neck joint/tenon.

It's a medium tenon joint. If it's anything like mine the tenon is in two parts, one laying under the other like a massive shim.

I guess the idea was to have a properly fitted tenon joint without the difficulty of shaping it on the neck.

Paladin2019 said:
It's a medium tenon joint. If it's anything like mine the tenon is in two parts, one laying under the other like a massive shim.

I guess the idea was to have a properly fitted tenon joint without the difficulty of shaping it on the neck.

Er, what! The LS-150 and above claim to have a one piece neck - it can't have a two piece tenon?

Very nice guitar, I'm not far from Leicester so drop me a mail if you and the LS200 are not bonding.

:wink:

Enjoy it loud!

Paladin2019 said:

So Tokai call it a deep neck joint, and you call it medium?

Are you talking about your LS200 in particular, or all Tokais with a deep neck joint?
How about your other Tokais, what neck joint do they have?

Have just had it really cranked through a Peavey Classic 30 with Bad Monkey providing just a hint of grit in front - lord it sounded nice. Would I be right in saying it is an all nitro finish?

I am somewhat confused now too..it is the same guitar discussed in the thread below a few months ago..is it a 200 or a 230? Any ideas?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=125141&highlight=#125141

JVsearch said:
Er, what! The LS-150 and above claim to have a one piece neck - it can't have a two piece tenon?

These are LS200's from the days when there were only two top-end models, the 200 and the 320, and the 200 wasn't a slave to vintage specs that way the current high end lineup is - note the ebony fretboard, for example. It didn't have bound fret ends, an aluminium talipiece, brass saddles or a full length tenon either. It was, I believe, designed to be a great modern Japanese guitar in its own right rather than a full-on vintage reproduction (which the 320 was). They don't make an equivalent model any more.

The finish is (almost definately) a nitro top coat on top of a very thin layer of poly.

Here's a pic of what I mean by a two-piece tenon, sorry about the flash.

IMG_0061.jpg

You can sort of see it here too.

colour.jpg

Paladin2019 said:
Sorry, should have pointed that out... 2001

Aha, so it's kind of a unique model with a neck joint unlike any current models?

Catalog 23 lists an LS230, which I think is what JonnyFriendly's guitar is.

****, my keyboard is all covered in dribble. That guitar looks good.

Paladin2019 said:
JVsearch said:

These are LS200's from the days when there were only two top-end models, the 200 and the 320, and the 200 wasn't a slave to vintage specs that way the current high end lineup is - note the ebony fretboard, for example. It didn't have bound fret ends, an aluminium talipiece, brass saddles or a full length tenon either. It was, I believe, designed to be a great modern Japanese guitar in its own right rather than a full-on vintage reproduction (which the 320 was). They don't make an equivalent model any more.

Awesome pics, and very informative for the forum - thanks for posting them. :)
What a very interesting guitar! And remember the old saying - glue is stronger than wood.
Although I don't agree that the current LS range is enslaved by vintage specs - different neck angle, no fret edge binding, different finishes - the HLS range is supposed to be more in line with vintage specs.

Sorry to drag this thread up, but I've just changed strings, and had a look in the neck pup cavity - it has what appears to be a long 1 piece tenon?...

Nope, fraid not - most would call it medium, and you won't tell if it's one or two piece without taking the neck off (they're "on top" of each other). A truly long tenon extends beyond the middle of the neck socket (though it's quite subjective; some would say to the bridge-side of the neck socket or it's not long!).

AlanN said:
Nope, fraid not - most would call it medium, and you won't tell if it's one or two piece without taking the neck off (they're "on top" of each other). A truly long tenon extends beyond the middle of the neck socket (though it's quite subjective; some would say to the bridge-side of the neck socket or it's not long!).

I have never seen a tenon like it is in Paladin's LS200 and didn't know there can be a shim plate under the tenon. However the tenon in Jonny's guitar looks totally different.

I will open my 2004 LS200 at weekend and I suppose I could get it x-raided also if necessary :)

Oh yes, wasn't suggesting that it was like Paladin's! I suppose the two-piece tenons I'm thinking of show on the heel outside of the joint too, so that'd be an easy spot. Paladin's sure is a strange one.

More interesting tenon malarkey: a lot of modern Gibson tenons don't sit flush with the body channel cut - they're designed so they can be rocked a little to get the right neck angle. A neat solution, but never going to do much for sustain...!

Back