1985 RLG 50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almac

Reaction score
Hi , I'm new to Burny's and last night ended up buying on Ebay a 1985 RLG 50 for $950. I must admit I'd had several beers at the time which is always dangerous when looking at guitars on Ebay. Anyway I wanted to get some feedback from the Burny experts on this purchase which I have not yet received.

The pics in the Ebay auction are not great in focus but there's enough of them to get a idea of what I have bought. Certainly there was a lot of interest in the auction and after I won I spoke to the seller ...really great guy so I'm not concerned about being ripped off!

Here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220542047212&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Cheers

Al Mac

Well, I suppose you came to the right place, because I sold the guitar to the seller that sold it to you :lol:

The two pics at the start of the below link are the guitar that you purchased :wink:
http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9460&sid=934927ec7c013e2e1810fd2862b9d837
It is also pictured later in the link, next to some other Burnys.

I can tell you that the guitar has a really cool/3D solid maple top, a fat (quarter sawn :) ) neck, great playability, an off-set Tokai type neck tenon, VH-4 pickups, and it sounds great.

I see the seller listed the weight as 8 lb. 10 oz.
It actually weighs 9 lb. 4 oz. so, if you?re not too concerned about an extra 10 oz. aka ~2/3rds of a pound, then you are set.

Looks like the seller copied & pasted the eBay listing description for the one pictured below; it was 8 lb. 10 oz.
000_2303.jpg

I wanted to ask about which factory my 1985 RLG 50 was made at. This is the one that MIJVintage sold to a giu in the uk and I bought. When you mentioned a off-set Tokai type neck tenon does this imply it's a completely standard Burny build ?

Alastair, below is a photo of the neck tenon from the very guitar you purchased.
This is a typical Tokai type tenon.
It is slightly off-set to the bass side of the neck, as compared to most tenons.
This off-set design allows for about an extra 1/8 inch more body material to be left intact beside the tenon on the 'weaker' side (cutaway side) of the joint, as compared to a non off-set tenon, thus helping to create a slightly stronger neck joint :wink:

RLGtenon.jpg

Back