• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1980 Tokai Love Rock LS-80 Parts WANTED

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
I'm looking for a correct bridge and stop tailpiece for a 1980 Love Rock. Any original pickups from this era would be a bonus and considered as well. Anyone have parts from a broken or upgraded guitar to sell in any condition, as long as they are original. Please help.

Can't help you on that, sorry. Did you buy Red Tele's LS-80? If so, it's a nice guitar. I was thinking about it, too :wink:

Sometimes original Gotoh pickups are sold on ebay.com/co.uk/.de etc., but the standard bridge and tailpiece is from Gotoh anyhow and nothing special, except if it's made of aluminum which only the higher class models had.

I have a Reborn OLD LS-60 with a lightweight tailpiece - is that original to the guitar then?

Sorry for misusing the thread :-?

theskywolf said:
I have a Reborn OLD LS-60 with a lightweight tailpiece - is that original to the guitar then?
I don't know, is it from 1978? The highest model back then was the LS100 according to the catalog, so it might be stock. Just be glad you have one... ;)

Champagne....!!!

Hey theskywolf,
with the next posting you gonna move to a Tokai Forum (afaik)

GUITAR GOD

Congrats!!! from Germany

Champage, that's great! But are you sure - have to try that immediatly :wink:

At least, the search for the LS-80 parts gets a bump every time 8)

And even with the correct guitar now!

WolfgangFrame.jpg

:wink:

theskywolf said:
Can't help you on that, sorry. Did you buy Red Tele's LS-80? If so, it's a nice guitar. I was thinking about it, too :wink:

Yep. Everything seems original except the bridge. The bridge is very close from an early Gibson except the wire retainer (I enlarged the mounting holes slightly to the size of the Gotoh).

Its a really fine guitar, very lightweight compared to others from this era I've played. I like the faded finish and plaintops, look more authentic IMO.

JD, congratulations to that guitar!

Hans-J?rgen, thanks for posting that pic, this guitar is really mine :wink: :D :D

Well I found an original 1980 bridge, used, in Japan. :D

Now who has a set of creme bobbin (single adjustable bobbin/single slug bobbin) 1979-1981 pickups to sell???

I have a set of zebra's sitting here, I pulled them & put duncan's in my LS60

but I might want to hang onto them in case I sell the gtr? guess it'd probably be better to have the original pups?

bolero said:
I have a set of zebra's sitting here, I pulled them & put duncan's in my LS60

but I might want to hang onto them in case I sell the gtr? guess it'd probably be better to have the original pups?

PM me if you decide to sell them.

BlueFrogs said:
A little off topic, but how do those stock pups sound anyway?

To me, they are a bit hot/bright (at about 8.6K mine anyways), not a classic warm vintage tone but not bad either, and they look a bit odd with the 2x row adjustable pole pieces, but that's what they came with...

JD

A lot of LS80's had double adjustment screw bobbins so don't pass them up if they come along.

The original Tokai tailpieces are made of a copper alloy and not myzak/ally like the original Gibson tail pieces from the 50's and early 60's. This is why they are so light weight.

If you rub the nickel off an old Tokai tail you will see the copper colour come through.

The original Tokai bridges are a pretty poor design. If you look closely you will see that the saddles are "captured". This means that you can't change the saddles. They literally have to be drilled out to be replaced but once you do this the bridge is knackered.

The reason Tokai did this was because the original Gibson 50's ABR-1 bridge did not have a retaining wire. Tokai wanted their guitars to look like exact replicas so they captured the saddles.

Just out of interest, the original Gibson ABR-1 saddles would fall out and dissapear forever if you broke a string. Gibson improved the design in the early 60's by fitting the retaining wire.

Gibson now make historic light weight Tails and ABR-1 bridges (with the retaining wire) that will fit straight on to any Reborn. I'd recommend fitting
these.

Back