1978 LS-80 advice on those early 2-piece necks?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobar

Reaction score
Hey there. I've got a chance to acquire a pretty clean 1978 LS-80 (everything original except for the neck pickup). I noticed the 2-piece neck on it. I know it's known that the earlier 77-78 LS80s had 2-piece necks before they went to the 1-piece neck. I'm curious what the thoughts on that are. Are the 1-piece necks more preferred since that is more "vintage spec"? Are the 2-piece necks more sought after (less of them and arguably more stable)? Pros/Cons either way?

Hey there. I've got a chance to acquire a pretty clean 1978 LS-80 (everything original except for the neck pickup). I noticed the 2-piece neck on it. I know it's known that the earlier 77-78 LS80s had 2-piece necks before they went to the 1-piece neck. I'm curious what the thoughts on that are. Are the 1-piece necks more preferred since that is more "vintage spec"? Are the 2-piece necks more sought after (less of them and arguably more stable)? Pros/Cons either way?

IMO you are asking the right questions as far as (1) a 1 piece neck being more vintage correct, or (2) a 2 piece neck being potentially more stable than a 1 piece neck but at the end of the day does any of that really matter?
You want a long neck tenon which is more vintage correct? Vintage LS doesn't have that attribute.

If you want Tokai LS that is more vintage correct then maybe look at 'newer' Tokai LS examples but if vintage correct isn't such a big deal for you then the older/vintage Tokai LS with a 2 piece/center line neck and the non-vintage correct medium tenon might be your bag.

Only you can potentially supply an answer to those questions. Good luck.

Back