Old Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I’m asking is I’m wondering if that had happened before when the serial number was applied. In other words, a weak spot.

hardyblade said:
I have no intention to sell it, but any idea of a value based on the above issues?

No idea with a broken headstock.

First decide if it is an LS50/60 or 80. Lacquer, body pieces, etc.

Then check Reverb/eBay for sales.

Then heavily discount for the damage.

Price is individual, and I try to stay out of that lane for other people's business.

Hi guys,
If I am to assume the electronics are original, I would be shooting for an LS-60, somewhere between 1981 and 1984.
The 2 piece solid plain top was used on LS-60 Love Rocks of this era, later Years had a flame veneer. LS-50s tended to have 3 piece tops.
Double cream, 12 screw Gotoh pickups were also used on this Model at this time. Later models would revert to 6 screw.
The absense of a stamp in the front pickup cavity also places it after 1980.
In regards to the serial number, it is quite likely that in the refinishing of the headstock after the repair, the original S# was lost and a dummy one applied. More is the pity that the original wasn't recorded and reproduced - even crudely - rather than the poor attempt of a 60's Gibson S#.
The serial number aside, this sounds like a great guitar, seems to have been built in the right "era" for Tokai Love Rocks so play and enjoy it.
regards
Peter Mac

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info. I too was thinking it may be an LS-60.
The electrics all appear to be original, please see photo attached.
The pickups are PAF Goto's.
I have spoken to the chap who repaired the neck and he believes that it had been repaired previously as the serial number was very faint.
He also confirmed that there may have been a 1 in front of the other numbers which would indicate a 1981 guitar.
I don't know what he was thinking putting the number back on like he did!
Overall I am very happy with it.
Cheers
Kevin

15W2HQ5.jpg

Are you saying that the guy you talked with not only repaired the neck, but stamped that serial number on there and was trying to replicate the original one? That's a critical piece of info and paints a clearer picture of what happened.

Latest posts

Back