Tokai finds at the Dallas Guitar Show 2022

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guitar hiro said:
I never forgot Gruhn's reply to me and first impressions do go a long way. My impression of George is he is pretty much full of himself.

I was watching a YouTube video of Gruhn talking about vintage guitars, with one rarity on his lap.
He kept rapping his heavy-*** finger rings on it. STOP!

I was hauling a guitar around last weekend's show (Pelham Blue Les Paul) and a couple of vendors gave me the "it's a nice player" line = talking about a girl and saying she has "a nice personality." :roll:

For a lot of dealers, the only thing that matters is the ability to buy and sell quickly. Back in the '80s, I'm not surprised that they only wanted the cliche-classics and dismissed anything else out of hand.

Times change though, and there are far more buyers and collectors, and no more of the cliche-classics to go around. :)

ampmaker said:
For a lot of dealers, the only thing that matters is the ability to buy and sell quickly. Back in the '80s, I'm not surprised that they only wanted the cliche-classics and dismissed anything else out of hand.

Times change though, and there are far more buyers and collectors, and no more of the cliche-classics to go around. :)

I believe the points you hit are all dead on target IMO. :)

The guitar I was carrying around at the 1988 Dallas show was a guitar I purchased in 1980 from a pawn shop in Bossier City, La.
The guitar was assembled in the USA in the mid 1960s, was not a well known model but it was a fantastic guitar.
I owned the guitar for over twenty years and sold the guitar in late 2001 for five times what I originally paid for it. Nothing like getting your money back plus an additional four times that. :D

If the exact example were offered today in the same condition it would likely go for a minimum ten times what I paid for it in 1980.

Latest posts

Back