Jazz Sound 5 String

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CicisDad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Do Jazz Sounds come in 5 strings? I came across a Jazz Sound 5 string bass for sale locally. But after searching the internet for days I just couldn't find any 5's, none in the Tokai Catalog . I can't seem to post pictures here, how would I verify this is real and not fake? A serial number of 120435 means it was manufactured in 2012? I'm venturing into the world of 5 strings and was looking into the Yamaha's before I stumbled across this one. Would love to get it if this isn't a fake. Thank you for all your help!

I just saw one on Reverb, but that's the only one I've seen on the www.

https://reverb.com/item/40108345-tokai-jazz-sound-bass-v-dupont-blue-metallic-5-five-string-mij-japan

Thank you Sigmania!!

I see how I'm searching for them wrong, I should search on "Tokai AJB5" instead. Yes, the one that's listed locally looks exactly like the Tokai AJB5-100 Yellow Sunburst, except for maple fretboard instead of rosewood. Thanks again!

You're welcome. Looks cool. I have never played a 5 string bass. Looks fun. Good luck with it.

The AJB5-100 YSR in the Reverb link looks like it has a slab rosewood board.

Body looks like 2 piece with a center seam. Cool.

Hi Sigmania,

Would you know the difference between the AJB5-100 and AJB5-95? From what I understand for Tokai (with others like History, Fernandes, etc) that would mean they sell for 100,000 yen and 95,000 yen. That's I all I know though, any way to tell them apart?

I’m not sure what the difference is. The number does relate to the price. So if you’re seeing both for the same year, it would be a difference in the options. Different years, then probably a price increase. But I’m honestly not sure with those. I tend to focus on vintage instruments, but there aren’t many people chiming in so I was just trying to help.

Latest posts

Back