Cat’s Eyes CE-1200 Brazilian?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like it could be Brazilian to me. Crack in the back. Wondering if it’s solid rather than a laminate because of that crack along the grain. Would be rare for a piece of laminate to do that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-1975-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

pWhxa0G.jpg

Xhlb95J.jpg

UFlMujs.jpg

w3wgd7K.jpg

7LUNFOn.jpg

VBMHQXU.jpg

1aODwfe.jpg

JOUgCyP.jpg

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the tops are solid but the back is veneered. A 1200 from 75 would be one hell of a top end box.

Just read on another webpage written by a guy in Japan that in the 70's anything above the 700 models would be solid construction. The range topped out at ce2500.

Thanks. I’ve had a lot of laminate MIJ acoustics. From what I’ve gathered, one of the reasons they used laminates was the stability in humid climates which Japan obviously is.

A laminate wouldn’t crack from moisture. It w

Anyway, I thought it was curious. Thanks for the info.

Seller describes the body as solid. Interesting…

Used 1975 Cat's Eyes / Tokai CE-1200 NAT

MIJ Vintage Acoustic Guitar Dreadnought

SPEC

Body: Solid Spruce Top, 3pc Solid Rosewood Side & Back
Neck: Unknown
Fingerboard: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Serial Number: Unknown
Color: NAT
Neck Shape: Unknown
Model Year: 1975
Binding: Martin D35 Type (Herringbone)
Inlay: Torch Inlay
Position Markers: Diamond Inlay
Peg: USA Glover

CONDITION

Frets seem to be remained: 70%. (Dressed).

Neck is straight.

Truss rod works fine.

There is about 10cm crack repaired mark on the center of the body back but no problem for playing (see photos).

The guitar may have some other signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.

Please understand that this is a vintage item.

Ready to play when you get.

COMES WITH AN ORIGINAL HARDSHELL CASE.
(This is for shipping. It may have some damages.)

Any idea how to date these? Is there a serial number on the neck block?

Also, whose signature is that on the paper label?

1aODwfe.jpg

Thanks. More people speculating unfortunately.

Would be great to one day get real documented information about the relationship of Tokai, Martin, Sigma & Cats Eyes. Lots of hypotheses but almost no solid info that I have found.

On my “to do” to list, translate as many catalogs as I can. Hefty goal but would be worthwhile.

Page 2 but in Japanese

https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/tokai-1975-bluegrass-musical-instruments-catalogue/

Ahhhhh. Note the fret markers known as “Cat’s Eyes”. Maybe this is the origin of the brand?

5v1N1bR.jpg

VBMHQXU.jpg

I have read this has a Truss rod? I always though Martind implemented that around 1981, am I rigth? Vintage Martins and close copies have an enforcement at the end of teh neck rigth into de box. Any one can shed any light?

Good question. I wonder if it was an automatic/cut & paste response. That seller sells a lot of guitars.

“Frets seem to be remained: 70%. (Dressed).Neck is straight.Truss rod works fine.There is about 10cm crack repaired mark on the center of the body back but no problem for playing (see photos).The guitar may have some other signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.Please understand that this is a vintage item.Ready to play when you get.”

Page 15 onwards has some information
https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/tokai-1979-acoustic-guitar-catalogue/

I just bought a copy of that 1979 catalog from Japan. Looking forward to getting it translated.

The scans on line are blurry when you enlarge them and that makes them hard to translate.

I also got the 1975 catalog. Looking forward to getting them in hand.

My translation of the 1975 catalog that I just got and was able to scan at higher resolution than what is available on line using Google Translate:

CE 1200. Romania ¥ 120,000
Front plate: Spruce veneer,
Back & side plate: Rose veneer,
Neck: Mahogany,
Fingerboard: Ebony,
Tuners: Grover,
Strings: Marquis Medium,
Body Purfling : Herringbone

*Note the use of "veneer" may not actually mean laminate. I think this may be a an issue of words not translating directly. I say this because in translating the 1982 Tokai catalog that they call the mahogany body on Love Rocks a veneer, which is not the way that I would use that word. So I think it may not mean laminate?

*Also note that Tokai differentiates Jacaranda and Rosewood.... This is a huge debate among guitarists whether jacaranda is actually Brazilian Rosewood. If you look at the catalog shots, the Jacaranda guitars are clearly darker on the sides than the Rosewood guitars. So by Rosewood do they mean Brazilian or Indian? The guitar in this post has the coloration of Brazilian based on the photos, but does not have the unusual figuring I would expect in Brazilian Rosewood, so it is hard to tell. Open for debate.

Latest posts

Back