HELP me ID this 2003 love rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyz

Reaction score
I have a 2003 love rock with tortoise binding ,quilt top ,matt finish?
I need pickup rings that will work with this LP also?

1jc800J]

Use an image hosting site then paste the BB code here and the image will be visible. I use Imgur. It’s free.

Lol. Use the web version, not the app. On a desktop computer the codes show on the right of the image. The app however is a nightmare in my opinion.

Looks like you edited your original post.

Now I can see with the links you added, plus you are now asking about pickup rings?

Hope you get your questions answered now.

By the way, how do you know it’s a 2003?

Looks like it’s had a rough past. Good luck restoring it.

yeah shes a little rough, but i think it will be worth it?
just wish i knew where made and what model it was?

heres some more pics!

https://imgur.com/gallery/O1mlveV

I'm no expert on these, but I would say it was likely made in Japan. The serial number is what you would see on a Japanese model and the two screw truss rod cover are what they used in Japan in that period.

I could be totally wrong, but I would go with that until someone proves otherwise.

As far as model goes, I have no idea.

You might test to see if the finish is lacquer or polyurethane.

I didn't look at the back, but if it is one piece that tells us something as well.

I just looked at your picture of the back and it is hard to tell where the seams are if there are any. Maybe you can look closely with a light?

Thanks for those images!
The wierd part is I have yet to find one with black neck binding and Dark brown turtleoid binding?

and I cant find a seam on the back at all, looks like one piece?
and YES it is Lacquer!

Whatever it is, it's made in Japan in 2003. I have vague memories of a satin-finish limited run around that time which might fit the description.

I don't think the finish is lacquer, but it might appear that way if it's one of the satin models. Tokai's back pieces are always well matched, you won't see a join at the back, but you might see one on the sides somewhere (usually at the bottom of the body).

You might learn more by taking out the pickups and looking for cavity markings. See if the grain lines and top joint line up while you're in there, I have a feeling that top is a laminate. Pictures of the inside of the control cavity would help too.

The Faber pickup rings are the closest you will find to the originals but they are quite expensive. Dimarzio ones will also fit and are cheaper, but not as nice as the Fabers,

Paladin2019 said:
Whatever it is, it's made in Japan in 2003. I have vague memories of a satin-finish limited run around that time which might fit the description.

I don't think the finish is lacquer, but it might appear that way if it's one of the satin models. Tokai's back pieces are always well matched, you won't see a join at the back, but you might see one on the sides somewhere (usually at the bottom of the body).

You might learn more by taking out the pickups and looking for cavity markings. See if the grain lines and top joint line up while you're in there, I have a feeling that top is a laminate. Pictures of the inside of the control cavity would help too.

The Faber pickup rings are the closest you will find to the originals but they are quite expensive. Dimarzio ones will also fit and are cheaper, but not as nice as the Fabers,
thanx!!!

its tortoise binding on neck and body!

https://imgur.com/qy4w8y2

Latest posts

Back