Tokai Silver Star 1985

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenSoup

Reaction score
Hello. Can you give me some info from this photo? Serial number is 5045576 and the price they are selling is 825 dollars (here in czech republic it is normal - higher prices for guitars then in the rest of the world)
view

(I dont know if the photo works: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p7kK2w2lN5sUCKC8WYjfv5KuhygCvx8J/view?usp=drivesdk )

Is this SS-60 or something different?

Thank you for any info

Hi, the ser# indicates an 85yr model and from Peter's book for 85 models were ss38to ss50. SS60 were 81 only.

mdvineng said:
Hi, the ser# indicates an 85yr model and from Peter's book for 85 models were ss38to ss50. SS60 were 81 only.

Could you give me a hint how to know if its ss38 or what exact model? 🙂

https://kytary.cz/tokai-1985-silver-star-cream/HN230657/?source=Cart

Its this model

I’m no expert, but that neck plate looks strange. Has an odd finish.

The thing about detachable necks is that people switch them. Will the seller share pictures of the neck pocket and pickup cavity?

I wouldn’t buy a Fender type guitar without seeing under the hood. That will tell you a lot.

Those tuners on the neck indicate SS38 model, 48 had different pickups ss super as opposed ss hot.

The seller won't show me what is under the neck pocket, but when I think about it I actually dont care if its Tokai neck + different body (or different Tokai model) if the pickups sound rounder/less bright than my 50s Fender strat :wink: . I tried that Tokai in the store and I loved the neck, so the reason I want to buy it is the neck (I also love the finish on that!).

But they are selling that for 830 dollars which could be.. I dont know, would you pay 830 dollars for this SilverStar? :D

Thank you

I don't know what the price increase is for stuff in your area, compared to the UK. So it's for you to decide whether it's OK tyo buy. Condition should be very good for the price to be acceptable though. I Don't see any reason for the neck/body not being an original pair. The woods and quality are the same as the Goldstar series with some slightly different routings in the body and most of the range are the same necks and bodies with different pups and fittings making the difference in model #/price.

Price is based on supply and demand. If there is one guitar that you want then they name the price and you decide how badly you want it.

I’m guessing that if that is an SS38 then the finish is polyurethane, the body is two or three piece, the pickups and hardware are all entry level. That’s what it is.

But if you love the neck and how it plays, then maybe it’s your guitar. Hard to know if the next guy will have the same reaction when you go to sell it. I’ve pretty much given up on predicting human behavior.

Back