Volume Pots For My 1981 LS100S Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. He’s awesome. I saw him probably 30 years ago open for Robin Trower. Great technician. Love Trower’s touch tho. Loved his first few solo albums. :D

Lol. He’s awesome. I saw him probably 30 years ago open for Robin Trower. Great technician. Love Trower’s touch tho. Robin Trower’s first few solo albums are classics. Bridge of Sighs, etc. :D

I saw EJ play 14 shows in the space of 29 months during the 'Alien Love Child' era; late 1990s/early 2000s.

The first show was a Monday night @ Trees, in Dallas; maybe at most 100 people there. $5 ticket, the band played 2 hours plus, met Eric, Billy, and Chris, it was insane.

RIP Billy Maddox :( & RIP Jeff Van Zandt :(

Nice. I’m guessing you’re a fan then? Kidding.

How about Julien Kasper? He reminded me of EJ.

Just remeber ES models have no pcb but vintage wiring so you would try to get some or some strat models had a hum bucker or two also.

I just replaced the ones in my Es-100 but it came with two 250K pots!!! oddly.

Good luck!

I am looking at this again and wanting to find a replacement for this volume pot.

Some of my questions are:
-shaft length?
-taper for volume pots?

I have replaced pots before on VIntage Ibanez guitars and just used Alpha pots, but I really want to find as close to original as possible.

Also, do you remove all four pots from the knob side and the PCB comes free to de-solder?

All 4 locknuts will need to be removed and the pcb will be free to move. Vol pot will be audio taper, probably best to replace both vol pots to maintain the match.

Sigmania said:
I am looking at this again and wanting to find a replacement for this volume pot.

Some of my questions are:
-shaft length?
-taper for volume pots?

I have replaced pots before on VIntage Ibanez guitars and just used Alpha pots, but I really want to find as close to original as possible.

As mentioned in my first post to the thread you should have NOBLE 15A500K ohm pots.
That would be for all four pots.

The 15A represents 15% audio taper.

Here is a thread I posted a little over a year ago; you may find something interesting there.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25292

Also as I previously stated, I would not replace any functional/working NOBLE pot if it does not need replacing but that's just me.

just to throw a spanner in the works. Tokai diagrams for LS and LC with and without pcb's have A for Tone and B for Volume. Follow what you have in yours.

Thanks to both of you guys. I obviously stumbled into an interesting topic.

guitar hiro, I saw the A but assumed it was for amps or something. Did not realize it meant audio taper. I appreciate you clarifying and the link to your earlier thread.

mdvineng, I appreciate your help as well. What do those letters mean or represent? A=audio taper? B= linear taper?

Again, I appreciate both of your expertise and knowledge re circuitry.

mdvineng said:
just to throw a spanner in the works. Tokai diagrams for LS and LC with and without pcb's have A for Tone and B for Volume. Follow what you have in yours.

I just checked my 1980 LS-50 inkie & it is as you state from the catalog; A = tone & B = volume. :)

I stand corrected & thanks for that. :wink:

So

tone pot: audio taper, A

volume pot: linear, B

Thanks guys.

Sigmania said:
So

tone pot: audio taper, A

volume pot: linear, B

Thanks guys.

That's correct.
I also checked yet another one of my early '80s Tokais; this one a LC. It also has the B volume pots & the A tone pots.
Looks like the Tokai diagrams info mentioned by member mdvineng matches up.
I'm glad he posted that info; if he had not I would have never checked the pots in those two examples.

On a side note: I have a completely original Bacchus BLS with a serial number range 101***.
I knew it had NOBLE pots so, I checked it very closely today.
It has 15A500K pots for both volume & for tone. :lol:
These MIJs are some funny birds some times.

So I finally opened it up and pulled the PCB to see what the pots had written on them.

The volume pots say NOBLE B 500k Ohm.

Q1svc1s.jpg

The audio pots say NOBLE 15A 500k Ohm.

QrrAhHI.jpg

And the PCB board just because guitars are cool. :D

There is a clear thin plastic shield under the board with stand off metal washers. Not sure if that is factory correct? And cavity is painted with black shielding paint.

1xk3n73.jpg

Interesting. I did not realize the paint was conductive. What is the purpose of it?

Hey Geoff, looks like you are making some progress there. :D
You could just replace the bad pot & keep the circuit board; that is certainly a viable option. :wink:

Back