New (to me) Seymour Duncan DS-100

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes as the catalogue didn't say it so i had another look to check if it was ash or alder to be certain..

I dont remember, the DS250 pro i have used to have a rosewood board on it but that was not original, it now has the correct neck and i have a spare, which is always good !!

yeah...mine is from 92 and a pro so it seems they did have the three model designations right from the beginning.

Villager....are you sure your 200 isn't a parts guitar? I know there are always exceptions but that seems to be an ash body for sure, and I've never seen a 2 tone on an alder. Maybe the neck was swapped?

Also that trem cover is very strange looking. Clear with a sticker? Again I've never seen anything like that. Looks almost home made.

villager said:
yes as the catalogue didn't say it so i had another look to check if it was ash or alder to be certain..

I dont remember, the DS250 pro i have used to have a rosewood board on it but that was not original, it now has the correct neck and i have a spare, which is always good !!

A spare?
While I'm on the subject, here is the auction I was refering to:
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h166116007
Don't you think the pattern really looks the same?

jacaranda said:
villager said:

A spare?
While I'm on the subject, here is the auction I was refering to:
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h166116007
Don't you think the pattern really looks the same?

That's the same guitar. Pattern is identical. Are there any markings in the guitar villager?

I think the japanese seller (or whomever before him) stuck a home made trem cover (the bottom is not even cut level) on there with a home made sticker saying DS200R.

It should have the maple neck.

I'm going to also guess that the pick guard and knobs are swapped out as well.

yes its that one

I swopped the necks, to be what i believe is the correct format, the scratch plate holes in the body of the 200 are drilled for a 62 though, which is why it now has the correct rose wood neck, and the 250 pro which has the 57 plate and holes now has the correct maple neck, or so i believe!!

do you think the 200 should have a maple neck then? if so why are the body holes drilled for a 11 hole scratchplate see thats what confused me!!

do you think it may not be a 200 then? maybe a 185? I am not sure now!!

the ishibashi one is ash too, and rosewood neck..

The spare neck is a maple one I originally bought for the DS-250 pro but it was not a 200 or 250 neck as the laquer was shiny all over, not matt like on the ends of these 2 that are now on there, so now thats a spare one currently on a JV body !!

villager said:
yes its that one

I swopped the necks, to be what i believe is the correct format, the scratch plate holes in the body of the 200 are drilled for a 62 though, which is why it now has the correct rose wood neck, and the 250 pro which has the 57 plate and holes now has the correct maple neck, or so i believe!!

do you think the 200 should have a maple neck then? if so why are the body holes drilled for a 11 hole scratchplate see thats what confused me!!

do you think it may not be a 200 then? maybe a 185? I am not sure now!!

the ishibashi one is ash too, and rosewood neck..

The spare neck is a maple one I originally bought for the DS-250 pro but it was not a 200 or 250 neck as the laquer was shiny all over, not matt like on the ends of these 2 that are now on there, so now thats a spare one currently on a JV body !!

I didn't think about the pick guard aspect. That's interesting. Obvious question but I have to ask....So it isn't that somebody might have drilled new holes for that pick guard?

If not, then I'm not sure either!...lol.

See...I thought the 200 on ishibashi right now, was alder. Alder can get some nice figuring in it and that one is pretty subtle compared to swamp ash. But then I suppose it could be a lightly figured swamp ash...lol.

Not to mention that one has obviously been modded with the knobs for sure and possibly the pick guard.

According to the catalog linked on page one the 200's never even came in ash. So that's primarily where I'm coming from.

Again though...I do realize there are always exceptions in MIJ land.....With them being fairly old now who knows what the original owners were doing...modding stuff.

Without any markings in the guitar or on the neck heel saying what it is...we probably will never be 100% certain.

villager said:
I swopped the necks

In those circumstances, I find it difficult to understand how such a partscaster could be described as all original.
It's a very odd situation.

re the pg holes i thought of that, but the 57 holes are in a different place, and there are only 11 holes for an 11 hole pickguard,

its not being described as all original as its obviously not!!

<=whats odd about it ? seems perfectly clear to me

of course, if there is an error on my descriptions i correct it immediatly

as the necks were only swopped over last week, it takes a little time to make the changes on the website..

but I am still confused over the fact that it is obviously ash yet was originally drilled for an 11 hole pickguard, i think i will dismantle and look again for any evidence of filled holes re possible 57 pg in the past, but I am pretty sure i checked it well the first time, as that sort of thing is always on my checklist

what was the ash 2 piece centre seamed body model? 185?

anyway minutae apart these are very good strats, its funny so few people are aware of them, I tried a SD tele a while ago and again it was a killer, i know they also made a few LP's under the duncan brand and i am dying to try one of those, heh but I missed the last one to come for sale which was annoying!!

2 piece book matched were used on all the models (old ones). My 250 pro is book matched and I've seen incredible looking traditionals that were 2 piece as well. It's funny....but I've seen 250/280 pros that had uglier bodies than many of the traditional lines.

They didn't skimp at any level on these guitars.

I think it was only when they went to the 280pro (and the custom line) where they changed it to one piece bodies on the very high end.

My personal opinion (not substantiated by anything official) is that the different model designations were simple given to the guitars that performed the best. The best cream of the crop guitars got the pro designation, great ones got the vintage, and everything else got the traditional. And that's no slight on the traditionals cause I've also only ever heard great things about them too.

I have a Terada Orville by Gibson that I swear has to be like that too. It has all the features of the standard Orvilles out of that factory. 3 piece body, plain top that isn't perfect, and even a neck heel. I think it was intended to be just an orville...but it ended up a very light and resonant 8 pounds even, and it sings like the best LP's I've ever played. I think they knew it was good and said..this one gets the "by Gibson" designation.

Again...speculation...but seems logical to me.

villager said:
i dont like that 280 pro SSH setup, shame

theres a lovely vintage series trans white that i am thinking about too u see that one?

Oh...you mean on the custom model? I give them credit for offering a model of their own design though. The custom tele looks wicked too. P90's. Nice. Those are very rare...I think I've only ever seen ONE of the tele's. It was on ishibashi for like 79000 yen!....I'm so pissed I missed that one. I think someone here may have gotten it though.

They also made Jaguars as well. I've seen a couple come up before.

No I didn't. Got a link? Don't worry...I won't poach it!...lol.

villager said:
of course, if there is an error on my descriptions i correct it immediatly

as the necks were only swopped over last week, it takes a little time to make the changes on the website..
Villager, I am sorry, but a neck swap has little to do with an error on your descriptions.
Especially, when you pretend as a first step that it's 'all original'.
You will say that this matter is not my concern, but you're still asking 200? more than for your other DS185, while it is heavily modified.
Don't you think you'd probably better restore it to its original condition, as it seems to be original?
This white one seems very nice too.

you misunderstand.. the neck swop is nothing to do with the matter..

I have never ''pretended'' its all original, let me explain in simple terms,

when the guitar was first listed, before the neck swop, i copied and pasted the description from the duncan ds-185, which included the phrase all original, when i realised this and saw that the knobs and pickguard were changed then I corrected the description, as it was a mistake, there was no ''pretence'' about it.. when i investigated further i saw the anomoly with the pickguard holes making me think it should have a rosewood neck, thats whan i then did the neck swop..

I try to make all the descriptions of all of my guitars as accurate and informative as possible.. but sometimes when i am in a hurry, i make an error, if i do i usually spot it pretty quickly and correct it..

I dont really think you have the right to accuse me of pretence, as that is the same as accusing me of deliberately misrepresenting things, which is not something I do..

IF any guitar I sell is incorrectly described in any way I offer a full refund, and i pay the shipping, that is my policy. NO other seller offers anything like this.. and I do because I have complete confidence in everything I sell and I personally guarantee every guitar I sell..

I may swop the necks over again, I may not...

I may adjust the prices, I may not...

I have not decided as yet.

thanks for the advice, but what I choose to do and how much I charge are my business and you are totally correct in that it is not your concern..

villager said:
you misunderstand.. the neck swop is nothing to do with the matter..

I have never ''pretended'' its all original, let me explain in simple terms,

when the guitar was first listed, before the neck swop, i copied and pasted the description from the duncan ds-185, which included the phrase all original, when i realised this and saw that the knobs and pickguard were changed then I corrected the description, as it was a mistake, there was no ''pretence'' about it.. when i investigated further i saw the anomoly with the pickguard holes making me think it should have a rosewood neck, thats whan i then did the neck swop..

I try to make all the descriptions of all of my guitars as accurate and informative as possible.. but sometimes when i am in a hurry, i make an error, if i do i usually spot it pretty quickly and correct it..

I dont really think you have the right to accuse me of pretence, as that is the same as accusing me of deliberately misrepresenting things, which is not something I do..

IF any guitar I sell is incorrectly described in any way I offer a full refund, and i pay the shipping, that is my policy. NO other seller offers anything like this.. and I do because I have complete confidence in everything I sell and I personally guarantee every guitar I sell..

I may swop the necks over again, I may not...

I may adjust the prices, I may not...

I have not decided as yet.

thanks for the advice, but what I choose to do and how much I charge are my business and you are totally correct in that it is not your concern..

I am sorry villager.
As I thought I would contact you on Thursday to request information on the two tone sunburst in the middle, I felt a little concerned.
japanguitars0.jpg

At that time the neck was swapped, and the description stated 'all original'.

But you're right, it doesn't matter yet.
And don't worry... my aim is not to interfer in your business.
I understand better now.

A friend has a maple neck he bought new in France in the 90's, and it has a stock tortoiseshell pickguard.
Maybe you should ask an expert?

Latest posts

Back